Arai or Shoei

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

GIXXER KID
Learner Driver

Arai or Shoei

Post by GIXXER KID »

Well after my little front flip into a ditch ive decide it would a good time to get a new lid.

ive always had shoei's but fancy an arai as they feel comfier.

thing is i can get a good deal on a shoei at damerells as i bought the bike from them. just thought id see what people prefer and what the ups and downs to each helmet is.

Adam.
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/I-LUV-TRIALS/banner.jpg[/img]
scorcher
Learner Driver

Re: Arai or Shoei

Post by scorcher »

Arai's comfortable but noisy ( seems to be the general consensus,but i have nothing to compare mine to!). I also think the visor system is crap.A lot of other helmets seem to have better ratchet systems and are easier to shut and open. Shoei's don't fit my head proper so have never had one.
GIXXER KID
Learner Driver

Post by GIXXER KID »

yeah sounds pretty much the same as what ive heard.

crap visor.
noisy.

but then people say this is purely because they design them for race use first, then just chuck them out for road use so you dont get all the comforts of low noise and practicality.

i find the shoei fits perfect but the cheek pads collapse after a few months, only shoei i have that fits on the cheeks is too tight on the crown.

think its going to have to be an arai unless somewhere is willing to fit cheek pads from a small into a medium for me haha
gazaR1
Learner Driver

Post by gazaR1 »

had arais all my life,but last one i got is new lever type visor an its f...ing rubbish,every time you change it i think the pods are gonna break,stick to shoei's m8
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Always had Shoei's (well, once I'd swapped from Bell's and one AGV) until the latest helmet which is an Arai and the first one I ever tried that fitted. I won't have another - the next is likely to be another Shoei. The Shoei visor system is far superior to the Arai - as said it always feels like youre about to break something when trying to remove/refit the visor. Noise wise, there is very little difference - the more external vents and add-on platsic you have, the noisier it will be. The RX7RR's are designed for racing first and foremost hence are better ventilated yet more likely to be noisy - the lesser models with less ventilation hardware are likley to be quieter. This will apply for Shoei's too.

For most helmets with removable padding it is possible to buy the pad kits separately, so there is no reason why you cant customise the fit of your helmet.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
tomr6
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by tomr6 »

I've always had OGK's since a mate of mine got sponsored by them and Hizzy wore them.

Came off at pace a few years ago, alot of broken bones including clavicle into 27 pieces. Landed on me head and never even lost conciousness.

First thing I bought was another OGK lid and I've stuck with them ever since.

Its just horses for courses mate :D
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/TomWW/tomr6copy3.jpg[/img]
GIXXER KID
Learner Driver

Post by GIXXER KID »

never tried an ogk lid, where sells them? lol

with me its been shoei as ive always had them on deals from damerells (who dont sell arai) but ive always felt like arai fit better,

now im stuck with what to go for lol.

i tried pretty much every helmet in george whites and none seemed comfy after trying the arai, but that may of been me being biased as i wanted an arai haha
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

You've as good as answered your own question - go with what fits and is comfy. I've worn Arais for the last 24 years, for me Shoeis just aren't comfortable, too much pressure on my forehead. If it fits you properly, buy it. Then spend time learning how to change the visor without breaking anything... :roll:
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
deej
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by deej »

hahaha as i said to you on sunday its got to be a arai, the visors are easy enough to change once youve done it a few times, the pads dont give like a shoei and they have better paint schemes than a shoei too
http://www.averysmotorcycles.co.uk use code SWB10 for discount
ninja1981
Learner Driver

Post by ninja1981 »

tomr61 wrote:I've always had OGK's since a mate of mine got sponsored by them and Hizzy wore them.

Came off at pace a few years ago, alot of broken bones including clavicle into 27 pieces. Landed on me head and never even lost conciousness.

First thing I bought was another OGK lid and I've stuck with them ever since.

Its just horses for courses mate :D
im an ogk man myself,had a fast off where i to went head 1st and it held up fine,visor is solid and pads are good,pgh in torquay used to sell them but now i think fleabay is the safest bet and over the years they have gone down in price too.
:)
[align=center]RIP OFF MY SKIN....[/align]
[align=center]IM A NINJA INSIDE!!!![/align]
jason
Learner Driver

Post by jason »

you either have an arai shaped head or a shoei one...they are very different fits.

Unfortunately I have an arai shaped head which is annoying as I switched from arai's to shoei in utter dispair at their appalling visor change system and fragile side pods.

the guy who designed the arai visor changing system should win the "chocolate fireguard" award for bad design.

they are simarly noisy, of similar quality but the shoei has an infinately superior visor change system. different fits though, you will be one or the other.
GIXXER KID
Learner Driver

Post by GIXXER KID »

jason wrote:you either have an arai shaped head or a shoei one...they are very different fits.

Unfortunately I have an arai shaped head which is annoying as I switched from arai's to shoei in utter dispair at their appalling visor change system and fragile side pods.

the guy who designed the arai visor changing system should win the "chocolate fireguard" award for bad design.

they are simarly noisy, of similar quality but the shoei has an infinately superior visor change system. different fits though, you will be one or the other.
i find they both fit snug, but then each model of arai is a different shape and same with shoei. so some will fit and some wont, ive found my shoei's fit on the crown but go lose on the cheeks or fit on the cheeks but are too tight on the crown, only way around it is a medium with small cheek pads but thats just hassle lol
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I had a shoei lid years ago, liked it. Tried arai lid when due replacement but like Jason said, you either fit one or the other.

I wouldn't have an arai as you pay alot for the name. Yes they have a posh Rep but its just advertising.

I have been using ogk for he last 10 years and think they are great. I couldn't tell you if they are noisy or not as I always wear ear plugs. I can tell you though that they are comfy and well made.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
KEVW666
Learner Driver
First Name: KEV

Post by KEVW666 »

Hi i thought i would throw in my two p worth.

Over the years i have had all sorts from shoei, shark agv and even a nitro at one point but still cant find any that are as comfy as an arai so totally bias i would say go for an arai . But like others have said get some ear plugs and spend some time practicing the visor change (they should give a free training course with each one sold =)) ).

But try a load on as the best for you is not going to be the same as everyone else.

It may just be i have an odd shaped head ha ha :(|)
frazzle
Learner Driver

Post by frazzle »

if its between arai and shoei then id go for shoei as they fit me better.

i have HJCs and an AGV which fit perfectly and the HJC i had stood up brilliantly when i went over a car and landed on the visor.
When the going gets tough, the tough go clubbing
When all else fails, destroy all evidence of trying