Advice please - lightweight tourer?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Re: Advice please - lightweight tourer?

Post by badgerKDD »

Bandit 1200 is an option, semi faired version for touring. Bomb proof engine, comfy seats ( you and pillion ) at sensible height, easy to do sensible speed but picks up nicely when that caravan in front is holding you up ( and a dozen others ;) ) and you need a quick overtake to get you past, a two up 600 might not have the torque to do that?

You can pick a decent condition one for between £2000 and £3000.

Graham22 can give you a decent reference on touring with the VFR as he owned one for that purpose but upgraded to a Busa. He told me that two up, with luggage, it could struggle to pick up quickly and just felt a bit underpowered at times. Lovely sounding exhaust though ;) . Admittedly the underpower thing probably won't be an issue if you are looking at restraining naughtiness, but does serve to strengthen the argument against a 600.

Either way both Bandit and VFR are road bikes, lower ride height than adventure bikes and plenty around so keeps servicing and parts costs down.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

140mph+, 100BHP, not great economy, not especially light. I guess the advantage is the handling is not so good going fast but even so...

Another bike I like though. Riding the Deauville yesterday two up it goes straight to 80 and sits there. No excitement but also no bother. The seat is big but supportive and the pegs for pillion are way down making it much more comfortable for my wife than the ZZ-R which was much more comfortable for her than for me. The seating position is just lent forward so your lower back(side) is not taking the strain so much (except one at GT where it was somehow more upright and less comfortable) but also not leaning too far forward to strain neck or wrists.

Nice looking F650 in Hampshire but without riding one locally it's a long way to go. Blast (and Thor just in case) and Lanner today so who knows?
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Doh! Although, whilst that probably does preclude a Bimmer, you need to measure what gap you have and go from there. Generally, the handlebars are the widest part of the bike, and most bikes tend to have the bars set at a similar width. I bet the overall width of a Duc ST isn't much different to an F650 .......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

If your referring to vfr 100 bhp and 140 not good fuel I got 180 miles on a tank two up fully loaded I am only 5f 6 and never had a problem with seat height I now ride a gs 1200!! big heavy bike but not noticeable on the move
you seem to be set on the bmw 650 just try before you buy
Tractorwackyracer
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

No KR I was talking about the Bandit 1200. I am still open I'm just challenging everyone's suggestions in the hope something new comes up. Still open to a Fazer (or even a diversion, a 600 faired Bandit, an ER-6F and a number of others. I thought Blast might have that sort of thing but it was triumph Tigers or sports bikes. I must admit the Tiger was comfortable but felt very heavy stationary at least.

I'll probably end up with a gixxer!
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

Oh I see there's a lot of choice really I use mcn look at there review s on bike s the bmw 650 only has 50bhp zzr 600 90/100
Personal opinion but two up fully loaded some smaller bikes may struggle a bit pays your money takes your choice as they say
Tractorwackyracer
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

Yep. I had 90 and found that unnecessary (not un-fun just not needed to be legally getting around). The BM and Deauville have much less power but a lot of torque and so will not go as fast but will hold that speed well. Having said that of all the bikes we have looked at this weekend the Bandit (just the 600) is the one I like personally. Not a looker but the sound, that slick Suzuki gear change and the sound. But the Deauville will keep us dry and comfy...
Learner Driver

Post by ninjajockey »

I had a BMW 650 a few years ago for commuting, it was a bit vibey (which you'd expect for a single) but 80 was about it, and that was just me with a top box. you had to thrash it to make any progress. I liked it, but I wouldn't want to do a long trip 2 up on one.
What about the Beemer 800 twin, they did a tourer version of that if I recall.
PeterM
Learner Driver

Post by PeterM »

I Love my 1300 Pan

Liked my 1100 Pan before it.. If you decide on a DullVille then just buy a Pan as alot of DullVille Riders do

P
http://www.Hotsunsets.com

http://www.BritSToc.com
SWTH
Learner Driver
First Name: Scott

Post by SWTH »

goatpants wrote:versys???? bit of a minger but good bike
This.

I did my DAS on a Versys 650, I loved riding it. Got more than enough 'go' to be entertaining and very comfortable. Bear in mind that when you're sat on it, you don't have to look at it....
2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
1993 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100 C2
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Dailaughing wrote:140mph+, 100BHP, not great economy, not especially light. I guess the advantage is the handling is not so good going fast but even so...
I don't know for definate but surely wouldn't a 800 cc + bike be better on fuel economy than a 600? With a greater spread of power and higher torque you can sit at 70/ 80 mph in top gear and overtakes are just a twist of the wrist, whereas two up on a 600 you'll be thrashing the engine in higher revs and up and down the gearbox all day? I'm just thinking you might be getting stuck on this bigger CC equals licence losing speed argument and missing the point of larger engine equals more relaxed revs and smoother ride at lower RPM. As has been said, you decide how much to twist the throttle and most modern 600's will do over the ton, even the perceived Dull tourer types. Your ZZr600 is considered old and quite slow but you yourself said you often got tempted to open up and give it a thrash, so surely would the same not apply to a newer more capable 600?

If its really a speed issue, have you considered a left field option like a retro Triumph model ( Bullet is it? ) or even the Indian import Royal Enfield models? Definitely a more relaxed pace with day long comfort for both you and your pillion.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

I did consider the Bullet but not seriously (fairing). I know I am asking the impossible but to be honest the Deauville looks like delivering pretty much the whole thing. Rode one on Saturday and you could call it dull but you could also call it an incredibly relaxed and enjoyable ride. Very different to what I have looked for in a bike but still a valid way to enjoy myself. The pillion position seems more spacious and comfortable on it than the riders position on (say) a Fazer or even a Bandit.

As for the engine size it does seem to follow that more CC means more mpg. Yes, an engine under it's limits will be more economical but on balance it still takes more fuel to fill a big cylinder. Injection on a modern bike helps a lot though so a modern litre bike can easily match my ZZ-R. The Honda NC (?) 750 (the almost-a-scooter thing) is the real rule breaker though with 60-80mpg from a 750. The power output is pretty low but with lots of torque. From the MCN reviews alone I'd test that one if I could be sure I will be getting enough to pay for it.

There is no doubt in my mind that my mistake is in not being rich. Then I would get a Pan European or a big beemer for touring, a gixxer for the sound and soul (and another for track days) and a RG250 for being a twat. Plus an H2R to admire. Then buy some fields and a forest and get into off road;-)

See, no compromise required
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Folks are only suggesting options, as per request. It's sounds like the Deauville really does fit the bill for you, so go for it :) At the end of the day, if it doesn't suit, sell it and look again ;)

Odd you should mention the NC, as I did wonder about mentioning the Honda Silver wing (The 650 mega-scooter, not the CX500 based thing)......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Dailaughing
Learner Driver

Post by Dailaughing »

Thanks for raising it Moose as I know I can come across a unwelcoming/ungrateful but I am grateful for all the suggestions and any negative comments I make are me working it through in my plodding way and not me dismissing anyone. I am ignoring the Silverwing suggestion though because I haven't sunk that far into old age (I believe they are great but even I would struggle with the image issues while I can still get my leg over).

I have looked into every one of the bikes suggested unless I already had. I have even gone to view some of them before deciding on a "no". Loads of good recommendations and my wife and I are exhausted after a weekend in Devon and Cornwall looking at bikes (and the odd owl). Loved the Fazer, loved the sound of a Bandit with a Beowulf exhaust on it, truly impressed by the Pan European (shame they cost three times a Deauville), wanted to steal the VFR and was quietly surprised by the 650 BMW even in off road form as it was whilst still agreeing with whoever said they were not the greatest ride.

Our decision (not firm yet) is probably to get a very cheap Deauville for our trek to Belfast and then flog it on our return if it doesn't do it for us. That should give the insurance company time to sort the injury claim giving us a bit more to play with plus more experience. Or if we like the Deauville I can spend the money on furry dice or whatever touring people add to their bikes because I will have become one of them.

I'm not closed to more suggestions though if we have somehow missed any. I did look at the Vincent Black Shadow at bridge but one tyre looked a little dodgy...
Learner Driver

Post by richiec »

Can vouch for the VFR750 as a excellent touring bike, our 1990 model has taken us everywhere, mostly two up. Excellent performance when required yet can pootle along with ease. It's well balanced and comfortable, my missus has dozed off a few times on long rides. Worth riding first though as some ( tall ? ) people struggle with the riding position, possibly fitting risers for the bars. Reliability is first class, carry a spare regulator/rectifier just in case. Would be nice to have a bigger tank to offer 200 miles before a refill but that would add weight so I can live with it - we usually get around 140 - 150 miles.