Bandit problems

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Blender81
Learner Driver
First Name: Ben

Bandit problems

Post by Blender81 »

Hi, got a problem with my bike and hope someone's sorted a similar problem.....would really appreciate any help
^:)^
Was running sweet until I started it to get to work, ran rough and sounded like it wasnt firing on all 4. Overdue a service and in the hope of curing the problem with some basics have done valves, cleaned air filter etc. Still running bad, cylinders 1 and 4 dont seem to be firing and headers are cold, so have tested the relevant coil (primary and secondary - both within tolerances), got sparks on all 4 though I'm not sure the spark is great, switched round plugs and ran the same, was running iridium so switched back to standard and replaced and all 4, started up and ran super sweet again. Problem solved I thought..... for a 1 minute or so, and then back again to the same problem.

Makes me think its a carb issue...i.e. 1 and 4 getting flooded or starved. Any thoughts greatly appreciated! :-?

cheers
APRILIA RSV gen1....Bbrrrraaaaaaappppp
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Bandit problems

Post by billinom8s »

I would look at carbs Next too.

Not so much a balancing issue, more a crap in there issue.
If that didn't Work, try the plug caps, they can break down over time. The coils will still be fine but the caps and cables won't carry the required voltage/current for the plug.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Does sound like the fuel filter has collapsed starving the rail of pressure.

Or there is a mesh gauze in the tank usually refered to a's the tea bag filter. These can block up also, usually by debris.

Both may be worth a look at.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Blender81
Learner Driver

Post by Blender81 »

Thanks. I think the plugs and leads will be fine as its a 2006 bike I didnt think they'd fail that soon? On fuel I thought it maybe flooding rather than starvation...but worth a look your right. Cheers
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

On the mk1 the fuel filter on the top of the tap does collapse and starve the fuel try it on reserve and see if it makes a difference
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Blender81
Learner Driver

Post by Blender81 »

Thanks, this is a vac tap but I assume it could still happen. I doubt suzuki would have altered it? Though it seems to me that its more likely getting too much/running rich as plugs were fouled? Think I didnt mention that earlier...
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Any luck Blender? Which model of bandit is it? If its 2006 as you say, don't they have fuel injection not carbs? I'm not used to these 'modern' Suzuki's, I seem to be stuck in the dark side of the Old School Suzuki's.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Is the wiring/plug that feeds the coil and the earthing (coil to frame) good? I take it that you can smell the unburnt fuel? Any changes with the choke use?
The fact that it's 1&4 I'd still be looking at an ignition issue, coil may test ok and fail under load.
ST4
DRZ400e
Blender81
Learner Driver

Post by Blender81 »

Tis a k6, with carbs not FI. One of the last registered oil cooled bikes. Or so I was told....

Is in shop today, they believe its the leads or caps. Should know tomorrow morning!
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Have you tried swapping the coils & leads over? If the issue moves with the coils, you have your suspects ......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Blender81
Learner Driver

Post by Blender81 »

The problem...after all that, was simply the plug caps were fooked! :roll: New plug caps and all sorted for the bike show at Excel this weekend :D