To much oil

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: To much oil

Post by billinom8s »

Helps keep the oil in the sump
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

I alwaye fill the new filter with oil before putting on. As far as sight glasses go, never really had em so always used the correct measure of oil in a measuring jug. Can't go wrong then.
Running on MT
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Personally, if you have access to one with a suitably small tube, I'd syphon out some oil until it drops down to the correct level.

Avoids the hassle of messing around with the sump. You will either cover yourself and the garage floor with oil, or drain out too much.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

gee46 wrote:When you did up there rear axle bolt and front did you have a extention bar on the torque rench if so did you adjust the torque value to take in consideration off this as adding a different leverage point changes the torque value when doing up a bolt
Could you explain this please as it sounds wrong?

I have a torque wrench where the head tilts once the torque is reached, this type is completely unaffected by how long the handle is.
Also I can't imagine needing an extend bar on a torque wrench as they are usually long enough for their intended range. Mine goes up to about 200 Nm and is as long as my breaker bar.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Oil filters can be tight if they've been on there a while.
Assuming it's a spin on type they have a wide rubber seal that should be lubed when installing, if it wasn't, or dried out over time, and/or was put on tightly it can be an arse to get the off.

I've crushed them before trying to get them off, that's always just the first change though on a new (to me) bike, once I've done a service they come easily so there must be some real apes out there doing filter changes. :mrgreen:
gee46
Learner Driver
First Name: gareth

Post by gee46 »

How adaptors affect torque
To understand why certain types of adapters and extensions change the amount of torque delivered at the bolt head it should be remembered that the amount of torque produced at the bolt is the result of the amount of force applied and the length of the torque wrench plus the length of the extension or adapter. Remember the torque law:

Force x distance = torque.

However, when special accessories are used that add length to the torque wrench, the setting no longer reads true and corrections must be made to compensate for any added length. Adapters or extensions may be used with a torque wrench for many reasons.
To adapt torque wrench to special fittings or applications.
To increase or multiply torque past the capacity of the wrench.
To torque fasteners in hard to reach locations.
How to compute torque
If an adapter is attached to the square drive of a torque wrench, the wrench will not give the actual torque indicated by the setting of the handle. A simple formula however, allows you to figure out what the setting should be to deliver a pre-determined amount of torque at the end of any adapter to the fastener.
Here is the formula:

The letters in the formula have the following meaning.
A = length of torque wrench
B = length of adapter
C = torque wrench setting
D = desired torque at end of extension

Here is a typical problem:
You have an adapter 42" long and you want to acheive a torque at the nut of 256 lbs.ft.
Your torqye wrench is 18" long.
So, using the above letters:
A = length of torque wrench = 18
B = length of adapter = 42
C = torque wrench setting = ?
D = desired torque at end of extension = 256

So, with your 42" extension on your 18" torque wrench, to acheive 256 lb.ft at the nut you need to set your torque wrench to 76.8 lbs.
gee46
Learner Driver

Post by gee46 »

Hope this helps with any torque wrench matters I know it's something I have to consider when I am at work with those hard to reach bolts or using different types of fittings
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

I think I'm with you now...
Only adaptors fitted the business end of the torque wrench will affect the torque delivered to the nut or bolt.

When you said "extension bar" I automatically thought of a short length of scaffolding on the back of the wrench to increase your leverage, when I think you are talking about a proper extension which fits to the 1/2" socket end?
gee46
Learner Driver

Post by gee46 »

If you where to put a scaffold bar on the end off the torque wrench it will not affect the torque value it will only assist you in the amount off effort you have to apply to the wrench, it's only if you add things in between the socket to the wrench which will change the torque value hope this helps
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

The bike shop that had the old Fred Hutchins site. They did a service on a mates bandit 600 and put the oil in with the bike on the sidestand to the marker on the window.
Amazingly he managed to get to exmouth before the crank shifted out of phase.
Little did we know Yamaha would do this 10 years later :-0
ST4
DRZ400e
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Just to answer the torque rench question due to the complexity of macanical torque trenches and the need for regular calibration plus the cost I went for the other alternative

An electric version it is about £30 and it slots into the socket of the socket set and then the other side you attach the normal socket. Set it to the correct setting ( digital display) start turning and it verbs quicker the closer you are to the setting until you get a constant tone your at the setting.

Job done tightened to 100 nm
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Like this one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3PC-DIGITAL-ELE ... iid%253A14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
stevebinary
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by stevebinary »

Its a sump bolt, us a new washer, hand tighten it then with a ring end spanner give it about half turn , you will feel the spanner pushing into your hand as you do this.

to gain experience on hand setting bolts, undo some and do up by hand and check out with a torque wrench
The torque wrench won't let you know when the thread or bolt is about to give up

Fill with oil and start bike, warm up and check for leak.

on next run re inspect, it won't have leaked.

Hoe many oilly badly maintained bikes have you seen, never heard of a sump plug falling out.

The torque police will be along to correct this information.

Ps ps engine internals cylinder heads alway need toque setting.

thats my two penny worth
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

stevebinary wrote:Its a sump bolt, us a new washer, hand tighten it then with a ring end spanner give it about half turn , you will feel the spanner pushing into your hand as you do this.

to gain experience on hand setting bolts, undo some and do up by hand and check out with a torque wrench
The torque wrench won't let you know when the thread or bolt is about to give up

Fill with oil and start bike, warm up and check for leak.

on next run re inspect, it won't have leaked.

Hoe many oilly badly maintained bikes have you seen, never heard of a sump plug falling out.

The torque police will be along to correct this information.

Ps ps engine internals cylinder heads alway need toque setting.

thats my two penny worth
Won't get an argument from me ......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

On a Japanese bike fair enough.
But been there done that on a Ducati and it ends up with bits falling off as you go down the street. I now use a torque wrench for most things as I've conditioned myself to the Ducati
ST4
DRZ400e