Minor roads... Tractors

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Minor roads... Tractors

Post by Ducaki »

Just a quick reminder.
Alot of tractors out there brining in the hay this week. Be safe :-)
ST4
DRZ400e
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: Minor roads... Tractors

Post by Scotty »

Carting silage actually, but the effects of hitting one would be no different
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Maybe up your way Scotty, down here they're moving giant shredded wheat around.

Found two of the hemorrhoids driving over a crossroads the other night, No lights on until my headlights hit them. pregnant goldfishies
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Yup never know where you gonna meet em , and laws do not seem to apply to them ,
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

And don't forget [Censored] roadies (cyclists). They must be car drivers too, but as soon as they get together they change into mindless road blocks. Just road kill waiting to happen....
~x(
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

layne wrote:And don't forget [Censored] roadies (cyclists). They must be car drivers too, but as soon as they get together they change into mindless road blocks. Just road kill waiting to happen....
~x(

Lycra louts
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

Always busy at this time of year, especially in this weather. Hay and silage making in full swing. But there's far more tractors on the roads these days because farmer's-in-residence are disappearing fast and more and more farms are leased by commercial agri-management companies and worked by contractors who use the roads to commute with farm machinery.
No excuse for not being well lit though. Should have cab or widely spaced side lights too. I remember tearing down a long, narrow straight many years ago after dark thinking there was an oncoming car in the distance but still a long way off. Turned out to be a tractor with two headlights 18" apart and no side lights and it was right on top of me. Had an unlit implement on the back as well which I felt brush my shoulder as I went past. It was a life-pass-before-yours-eyes moment.

I was riding down the A30 the year before last between Shaftesbury and Salisbury near the Fovant badges. Wasn't speeding but it was a bright evening and as I went from the light into some tree cover I just spotted the nose of a tractor sticking out of the hedge. He'd stopped to close a gate behind him. What I didn't see in the gloom until the very last second was a black buckrake on a black fore-end loader which he'd left lowered over the road at chest height. Swerved onto the other side of the road at the last moment. Luckily there was nothing coming the other way.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Awww c'mon they've a job to do and surely you can trust in your esp to avoid them :P
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
BMF
Learner Driver
First Name: Kim

Post by BMF »

Saw one tractor between Powderham and Exminster the other day coming towards us from around a bend completely filled his side of the road with some kind of tined bucket fitted to the front of it, scared me silly and I was in the car going to Exeter, Glad I wasn't on the bike. God knows how he would've got on with an artic coming towards him :shock:
Actually alcohol IS a solution
Honda CB600S Hornet
Honda CB1300SA8