Zummerzet ride - SUNDAY APRIL 29th

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Zummerzet ride - SUNDAY APRIL 29th

Post by Jug »

Yeh, squirrelly is a good description of it.
That feeling is pretty standard on the dirt but not expected on dry asphalt, first time I've experienced that on a road surface (I think).
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

A belated thanks to Brian and Larry for getting together a good rideout :-bd . I clocked up 187 miles, some of you others would have been well over that I guess.

Alan, waiting the length of time you did for breakdown recovery is outrageous and unacceptable. I hope you gave them some severe earache about it! Get away from the RAC pronto; I too had a very negative experience with them in the dim and distant past - and it seems they've not improved.Take Jim's tip (below) re' the AA.
For anyone who's not in the AA and who needs recovery from the East Devon area, insist that whoever your breakdown insurance provider is, they get Riverside Motors to attend (they're on most provider's list) with their dedicated motorcycle recovery vehicle; It's a specialy adapted high-top Transit, it's fully equipped and recovers and transports bikes only; it even includes internal CCTV with a display screen in the cab so you can keep an eye on your baby. Best of all (or not), it's likely to have me as the recovery driver! We aim to get to the casualty within an hour at the outside. If you don't have breakdown cover then you can call them direct, 24/7 - on 01404 813016, or call me and I can arrange - private message me to get my number. Riverside Motors are in Ottery St Mary.
Gimlet wrote: Apr 30th, '18, 15:56 I hate to say it but you can't beat the AA. They're chiselling gits for whacking up your premium every year unless you let it lapse and reapply but they're the only ones who have dedicated bike recovery trucks. The RAC frequently use sub-contractors too. I had an RAC subbie turn up once in a scruffy Transit with a tiny unsprung bike trailer bouncing along behind and no light board. I've never waited more than an hour for the AA.

Smiler, Will do. I'll sort the rideout as soon as the roads have cleaned up a bit. A lot of it's quite nadgery stuff and there's been a lot of spring water about which has washed a lot of gravel out. Its getting better, should be ready to roll some time in May. You may need your Fireblade... :)
Look forward to the long-delayed Dorset dash Jim. I'll do the TEC duties if you like. Just make sure we have a decent coffee stop - or two, wouldn't want Smiler to miss out on cake.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

Robbo87 wrote: May 1st, '18, 15:22 Look forward to the long-delayed Dorset dash Jim. I'll do the TEC duties if you like. Just make sure we have a decent coffee stop - or two, wouldn't want Smiler to miss out on cake.
Cheers Phil. It's a bit short notice but what about this Sunday the 6th? Weather looks spot-on?
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Gimlet wrote: May 1st, '18, 18:52 It's a bit short notice but what about this Sunday the 6th? Weather looks spot-on?
Aaarrrggghh......I'm leading a ride down to Sammy Millers for a Somerset group. Same pub start !!

...and it's my weather, you can't have it...

Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Oh, hang on.. It's May bank holiday. Maybe not then. It's going to be tin box hell.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Monday, I'm freeeeeeee...

Was going to recce my all-new 10 welsh castles / ruins ride on Monday.

Happy to come with you or any of you lot can brave the far north again and come with me.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Come on Jim, we're all waiting for the Dorset ride. Bring it on soon mate :-bd
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

I will Brian. Route is pretty much sorted. Made some minor tweaks because of grit and water. The rain over the last 24 hours hasn't helped.

Your two no-go weekends are a slight spanner in the works because that only leaves this Sunday, May bank holiday, and the end of the month, spring bank holiday. I'm up for either but there might be an awful lot of traffic about on those days. I'm in Scotland for nearly three weeks in June and then we're into July. TBH I would have done it early April but there was just too much water about. Its a twisty back road route and when the roads are in good nick its fast and lively and a lot of fun but too much water and grit takes the shine right off it.

Are the two middle Sundays in May absolutely ruled out for you Brian?

We could go or this Sunday. It's short notice and if we get stuck behind too many tin boxes we'd just have to live with it.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber

Post by ptolemyx »

I'm aiming to do the early ride with Simon this Sunday (6th). How about next Saturday 12th?

Or I could join you on Sunday after the dawn raid of the tarmac with Si, depending on logistics etc.....
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

The plan was for an 8:30 start from Axminster. I wanted to get past Shaftesbury and the first coffee stop by 10:00 as the A3030 can get busy and its a cracking road when you've got it to yourself.
Sundays are my preferred day as the roads are generally quieter. I should think a bank holiday Saturday would be busier than usual with people off places for the weekend. By Sunday, hopefully, people have got to where they're going. It's a theory anyway..
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I see it that way too, Saturday is typically a shopping day and also a "change over day" for campsites & hotels.
I tend to see & hear more bikes out on Sundays.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
r1dave
Learner Driver
First Name: dave

Post by r1dave »

Gimlet wrote: May 3rd, '18, 08:54 The plan was for an 8:30 start from Axminster. I wanted to get past Shaftesbury and the first coffee stop by 10:00 as the A3030 can get busy and its a cracking road when you've got it to yourself.
Sundays are my preferred day as the roads are generally quieter. I should think a bank holiday Saturday would be busier than usual with people off places for the weekend. By Sunday, hopefully, people have got to where they're going. It's a theory anyway..
Hi is this the 6th or 12th thanks
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

I'm going to stick to a Sunday. So its the 6th, 13th, 20th or 27th. I'm easy, it's what suits everyone else. But the 6th and 27th are bank holidays and the route goes down to the Purbecks so I'm dubious about a bank holiday weekend. If we get stuck behind some old fart with flip-up sunglasses doing 25 mph in a Nissan Micra don't blame me. x_x
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber

Post by ptolemyx »

Jim, do what you think best. It's my problem I'm doing other things on the Sundays between the bank hol's. We can always do it again later in the year.....or choose a weekday for the leisured classes :mrgreen:
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

A codger's week day run? Not a bad idea.
I'm going to go for Sunday the 20th. The long range forecast gives rain for the 13th.

I went down to Lulworth today and the carpark was nearly full on a Thursday at 3 in the afternoon. Don't fancy it at lunchtime on a bank holiday Sunday. I've got a few detours in mind if it is too busy.

I'll post up a new thread later.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure