Key replacement?

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Key replacement?

Post by Atomic »

An acquaintance has had a severe house fire. Both bikes were outside and not damaged, but all keys are lost.
The Kawasaki's are fairly recent ones ( 300 & 800) not sure of models but definitely have immobilisers etc.
The bikes were bought from Bridge & Bransons, both of whom have suggested getting an angle grinder to the locks and then replacing all, including ecu's.

Is there another way? Obviously chassis numbers are available.

For whatever reason the insurance route is not an option. No house insurance and bike insurance doesn't cover the keys.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Key replacement?

Post by Ruffian »

The key numbers should be able to be gotten through the service book which can get the ignition off.

Should be able to recode the keys but usually need the red key to do it.

Sometimes woolwich may be able to remove the immobiliser from the ECU to make a cheaper option.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

I know i only have old bikes without immobilisers etc , but these guys have been very helpful , they cut keys to numbers oredered over the phone , maybe worth speaking to them http://www.basildonlocks.co.uk/,
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Atomic
Learner Driver

Post by Atomic »

Thanks Ian & Mervin - a couple of good leads to follow up.
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

That sounds awful Tom :(

Hope they're ok x
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Atomic
Learner Driver

Post by Atomic »

They all got out safely. It was an early morning fire so most of the household were just leaving. They spotted the smoke and were able to alert their sleeping son.
To be honest, I think counselling is needed but getting someone there is a hard job.
I am still waiting to find out the models of the bikes. That in itself says a lot when it is 3 generations of bike owners concerned, but none can remember the details and are reluctant to go back to find out!
They are all safe though.