WHY DO A CIRCUIT EXPERIENCE????

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

WHY DO A CIRCUIT EXPERIENCE????

Post by billinom8s »

So as you may be aware I am running our annual trip to Llandow circuit for a fun days playtime. For those of you who have never been on an event like this there are a couple of 'pub myths' that need to be laid to rest.

IT IS NOT RACING

THERE IS NO MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM SPEED

INSURANCE COMPANIES DO NOT PROWL THE PADDOCK

There are lots of responses from people when first asked if they would like to try a circuit day,

1- too dangerous
2 - nah, i don't want to smash my bike up
3 - my mate said he trashed a set of tyres, can't afford to do that
4 - what's the point?
5- i wouldn't be able to control myself

REALLY?

1- Too dangerous
actually, it's safer on the circuit than on the road. If you think about all the hazards on the road and then the circuit it's quite surprising how safe they are. Yes some people are riding fast but then how fast do you ride on the road with all the dangers that it presents? If you come off on the road, how long before medical help arrives if needed, 30 mins ? At a circuit it's more like 30 seconds, plus free bike recovery to your van :))
Everyone is traveling in the same direction, no junctions, extra grippy tarmac, run off, no lamp posts, no cars/trucks/pushbikes/dogs/tractors/hedges/walls/curbs/painted lines/manhole covers for you to introduce yourself to. It's only when the component that links the seat to the handlebars fails that problems happen.
You will actually learn new skills - improved braking awareness, riding body position, throttle control, corner lines, tyre behaviour, gear selection to name but a few.

2 - Nah, I'd smash my bike up
Why? do you go out on the road with that view? As mentioned above, there are less hazards on circuit than on the road.

3 - my mate said he trashed a set of tyres, can't afford to do that
Did you then ask him how knackered his tyres were before the day? If it was a new set of tyres then he is either a riding god and should be in a race team or he had the suspension and tyre pressures setup incorrectly. You don't need all the toys to have a good day. Most places will only ask you to adjust tyre pressures and fold in mirrors, that's it and you're good to go.

4 - what's the point ?
Same as the other reasons we ride our bikes - FUN. There is also the chance to stretch it's legs without fear of plod pointing his hairdryer at you and facing time served at her majesties pleasure.

5 - I wouldn't be able to control myself
Then please don't ever come on a rideout with me.
A lot of the time peoples egos will feel threatened when offered a circuit day. They may well be faster than Rossi on the road in their heads as no one has ever passed them and they always hit 3 figures on the way to the shops. Fine, so bring your highly tuned skills to a level playing field and play. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before you make the local news feed for either a 6 month stretch or leaving a family a member down.

It's all about safe fun, not about trophies and championship points.

Just view the circuits as - A one-way private road, with no speed limit that goes in the shape of a nervous roundabout.

So if you are thinking of dipping your toes into the world of circuit playtime, do it. It may not be for you, it's not for everyone, that's fine.

Being nervous about it is normal, when I first signed up to do Llandow I had 6 months or a certain member on here reminding me weekly that......you're going to crash, you'll see your bike in flames, you'll break your legs and not be able to run away from your burning bike. Git. Turns out he was lying. All that happened was I became addicted to it, I think crack would have been a let down after the fun I've had doing these days. I'm still shit at corners although, I still enjoy trying to get it right.
With being on the forum I have been very lucky over the years to do these days with a varied bunch of individuals who have all worked together on the days, traveling up in convoy, making the encampments in the paddock, helping with peoples bikes if they are having problems, tips on riding styles, advising on lines etc and always welcomed new people into the addicts corner. :ymhug: :ymhug: thanks guys for keeping the SWB reputation alive and kicking.

So don't be afraid, ask the questions, use the forum as a lot of them get asked every year, take the step - YOU'LL LOVE IT.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Re: WHY DO A CIRCUIT EXPERIENCE????

Post by pieeater »

Great post, really looking forward to my first track day at Llandow with SWB in June.
The Muppet
Learner Driver
First Name: Mandy

Post by The Muppet »

would love to coMe and help out and spectate, this yr Simon if someone has a spare seat ,in a van :-) will try it out in 2018:-)to soon before my Adventure to Norway :-)
hillbilly
Learner Driver
First Name: Jon

Post by hillbilly »

Great post, I'm looking forward to my first Llandow experience.

It's probably a bit early, but has anybody got any space in there van/trailer for my cbr?
black & silver cbr600 F3 (matches my noggin)
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

There's a thread for that

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=98381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KTM 990 superduke R,
hillbilly
Learner Driver
First Name: Jon

Post by hillbilly »

thanks once again mr m8s
black & silver cbr600 F3 (matches my noggin)
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Good post Simon, I can heartily endorse the answers that you've given to refute the "reasons I don't do trackdays".

We've all encountered the self-titled Riding Gods (in Clarkson-esque voice over) who strut around in their pristine race leathers with unblemished knee sliders at bike meets, convinced that because their R1/Gixxer or whatever has more anodised tat and bling straight from the Demon Tweeks catalogue than anyone else's bike, the superiority of their riding talent is unquestionable, and matched only by their ego. If they ever do pluck up the courage to do a trackday, the most valuable thing they can take along is the Book of Racing Excuses as they try to compensate for being in the Novice group by giving it plenty of beans down the straights, followed by braking way too heavily and early for the corners and looking a total tit by hamming it up and desperately trying to get a knee down. Best of all, they get left behind by another first-timer on a Diversion or a CB500 (or better still, a GIRL!!! :)) :)) )

To the echo Simon's sentiments, I'd recommend to anyone to have a go, and the SWB day at Llandow is the perfect starting point; it's relatively close, it's VERY cheap, and you're amongst friends so everyone is pretty well behaved (and the weather is generally abnormally good for Wales). If you decide it's not for you, then fine. At least you'll have tried it for yourself, better than being one of the "I've never tried it because I don't like it" crowd.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Scotty
Learner Driver

Post by Scotty »

Eh, WTF? I posted the above reply ages ago, no idea how it suddenly became a New Post :-?
Steve McQueen
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Scotty wrote: Jan 31st, '19, 14:24 Eh, WTF? I posted the above reply ages ago, no idea how it suddenly became a New Post :-?
It's all still relevant though - and timely.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Scotty
Learner Driver

Post by Scotty »

:wink: Simon's explained it as useful to boost sales for Llandow - no worries, just put the cheque in the post :wink:
Steve McQueen
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Great initial post can I bring my cruiser pmsl
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Yep, we've had Harley's going round there -it's our private day, not a Race day.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Let’s see how the test and general confidence goes but after reading this I wont be ruling it out, its a day out with people from here which would be cool, even if I did only poodle my bike, I’d enjoy
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

You would for sure.
KTM 990 superduke R,
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

Mr T been following your rebuild. When you've passed your test you'll defo be ok to do llandow and can you imagine the chance to practice a short set of 7 corners 10+ times in 20 mins and repeat that 6 times in 1 day. Everybody going the same direction. Anybody who's faster than you has to ride around you without upsetting you. Do it at your speed. There's plenty there willing to help you or leave you alone at your choice. You'll love it, i defo recommend.