Maybe Going Track Only

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Re: Maybe Going Track Only

Post by menzies3032 »

I must say that this thread has really sparked some really interesting comments and all of them valid and I thank you all for your comments. I really hope others read this and get as much out of this as I have.

I would actually like to make a special shout out to Jer R1 for your comments about training. I could not agree with you more. I have taken hazard awareness very seriously I have done the Police Bike Safe and loved it it taught me so much about road position hazard awareness, line etc this was followed up by rider training schools to give me riding ability and skill and then I went to town with Twist of the wrist book read it cover to cover and if you look back on this forum many years ago you will also find a very long thread with my feedback on all of it.

In short my ability to ride is not the problem and with a few exceptions I normally ride to my ability not to the ability of the rider in front of me. Actually my confidence in my riding ability and my over conference in my hazard awareness skills is one of my biggest worries on the road.

On this forum there has been plenty of jibes about Gixxer riders always ending up in a hedge and I am happy to say “to date” I have never fallen off on the road in the last 9 years of riding Gixxers. Think that’s worth something :ymapplause:

Going back to the start of this post I would like to rehighlight that I am talking about a sabbatical from the roads. There is no way I am going to give up road riding and not come back. Money is not the issue.

Time, Family and work is very much the issue and for these reason I still very much plan to take a break and when I come back totally change what I am riding.

Scotty I am very much aligned with your comments and my current mind is telling me get off sports bikes and look at middle weight nakeds. Don’t think I am ready for cruisers just yet but naked really appeal.

I know there are many people on this forum who have taken the jump to stop road biking and only do track or to stop riding all together for a while to then be able to fully enjoy it when they return. (Gee46 and Shammy are two names that spring to mind)

What I am really interested in understanding is for the people who have taken a break / are doing track only.
Did this allow you the space to deal with the other sh1t you had to deal with?
And have you come back to the road with a new found love?
Or have you stayed track only and not looked back?

Financially I am in no rush to sell my bike... it might even sit in the garage until I am ready to come back to the road. Who know might even join a ride or two along the way. But here and now the plan is to sell it for the 2020 session and come back in 2021 with a changed bike and (hopefully) a new desire to get back on the roads.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

To quote the old Durex adverts of the '80s; "a change is as good as a rest..."
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Scotty wrote: Dec 4th, '19, 13:39 To quote the old Durex adverts of the '80s; "a change is as good as a rest..."
Love it.......
and if all else fails then just quote condom adverts =)) =)) =))
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Not sure how relevant my experience is. I didn't give road riding up for track use, I gave it up for trail and enduro riding. I sold my Fazer 1000 before I moved to Spain in 2004 and although I bought another in Spain it never got much use. I picked up a GasGas 250 2-stroke and never rode another road bike for about 8 years. I had a succession of trail and enduro bikes and really enjoyed the pastime, both in Spain and when I returned to the UK in 2008.

It was only deteriorating health issues that made riding a trail bike difficult and then not enjoyable. I didn't want to give up biking and decided to get a road bike (Versys 650) and I've had road bikes ever since. I've loved pretty much all of it and have some fantastic biking holidays in the UK and abroad and made loads of friends through the various forums, owners clubs etc. I wouldn't give it up entirely if there was suddenly a miracle sure for my MS and I could go trail riding again and I'd do what I could to run a bike for each type of riding.

I started off on road bikes and despite dabbling in trackdays and trail riding I've never considered giving road riding up entirely, and have goen on BikeSafe courses just to make sure I haven't picked up any bad habits. I rode for a few good years with a mate who was police trained and I think my riding has improved because of it. Certainly my ability to concentrate for long periods and not make mistakes related to tiredness I feel has got better and I'm always learning. I too work ridiculous hours but don't have kids and have an understanding wife who likes her own space so family issues don't often get in the way of me having my "release valve", which is how I view getting out on the KTM.

You say money isn't a problem. I'd say sell the Gixer and see how you feel after doing a few trackdays and see whether you miss the piss-taking and camaraderie we have on the road rides - that, for me, is as entertaining as the riding itself and you won't get that if you're off on your own in the arse end of Wales doing a trackday at Pembrey. Plus, you can be flexible on when you ride on the road whereas you need to book trackdays well in advance and then are at the mercy of the weather. Then, you can easily pick up a decent middleweight hooning bike like a Street Triple, 790 Duke, MT09 etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Ming, Thanks for the feedback and is very helpful !!!!!

Sorry to here about your MS that's not great. My wife got transverse myelitis 9 years ago so understand this is really not fun.

Your last paragraph is kind of where my head is at. Think that selling the Gixxer doing some track days and seeing how much I miss it will help decide how long it would be before I get back on the road. I am also on the same page with bike choices and went and sat on them all at the motorbike show recently and they are all on the possible choice list where test rides would be needed at the appropriate time.
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Oh no Andy, we can take the piss out of Rob where ever he is... That, I'm afraid, he won't be allowed to miss... X
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Rob pop around and jump on my bikes just to float up the road. I'm sure it may delight you
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Rob you got to do what’s best for you but agree with above comments why not keep a cheap and cheerful in the garage in case you get the erge to get out, plus that way you keep your NCD going mate 👍👍👍
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
R6 STU
Learner Driver

Post by R6 STU »

R6 is now track only.
I was getting frustrated stuck behind traffic and then spending 20 minutes to reach one corner only to be stuck behind a car.
Just the grom on the road for me now, but I’m a dick on it. Wheelies, stoppies, skids. Bloody good fun and always draws attention.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

R6 STU wrote: Dec 8th, '19, 22:19 R6 is now track only.
I was getting frustrated stuck behind traffic and then spending 20 minutes to reach one corner only to be stuck behind a car.
Just the grom on the road for me now, but I’m a dick on it. Wheelies, stoppies, skids. Bloody good fun and always draws attention.
Miss my msx/grom
Small block racing is funny as one Devon air ambulance run a mate and myself used it like a moto3 race.
Leader changes every corner and just smiles the whole way.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Right well that’s decided it.
I always take a photo on January the 1st as in my superstitious way I believe the 1st day of the year tells you a lot about the weather for the rest of the year.

So basically you lot are fu**ed this year.
Bye road bike nice knowing you
19A90838-157D-4597-85B4-28B5636C3139.png
EEAAA9C0-FAE8-4EB0-A880-0B43D0FDF1A1.png
F86BB2D4-B0BC-4BB7-B934-D8D8627337BC.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Yo cursed it.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
R6 STU
Learner Driver

Post by R6 STU »

This seems like a legitimate excuse for more euros this year
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

wishful thinking.. that's all that is Rob.

Stonking summer is on it's way, they'll be record numbers of new bikes registered, 95% of the population (above 18 years old) will have a full bike license by July. Motorcycle only lanes will be opened on all motorways.
All B roads will be downgraded to 2 wheels only, and will all be resurfaced (over night) and the national speed limit for 2 wheeled vehicles will be raised to 150... :)):
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
chr1s
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by chr1s »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Jan 1st, '20, 15:39 wishful thinking.. that's all that is Rob.

Stonking summer is on it's way, they'll be record numbers of new bikes registered, 95% of the population (above 18 years old) will have a full bike license by July. Motorcycle only lanes will be opened on all motorways.
All B roads will be downgraded to 2 wheels only, and will all be resurfaced (over night) and the national speed limit for 2 wheeled vehicles will be raised to 150... :)):
Yep, that's happening after Brexit...bloke in the pub told me last night :-bd