Moderator: Staff

Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Re: Winter is coming......

Post by Tvrv37 »

IMG-20200820-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20200905-WA0003.jpg

Phase one of first winter project completed. 2002 RSV trackday conversion.
1. Remove original bodywork list on eBay and sell made about £600
2. Rebuild rear SACHs shock upgrade to K-Tech spring and some internals and end cap so it could have fresh oil & gas. Big thanks to Billinom8s for the shock work and pressing in the new bearings into the linkage. A bit involved as there is no nitrogen bladder, but what a transformation.
3. Cut, drill & fit the really poorly fitting but very cheap track bodywork and rattle can spray job. Yes the bellypan is Hyundai red. Trying to bring Pacific rim reliability to the old girl.
4. Bolt back together.
Other mods are Renthal adjustable bars, Oberon Clutch, EPROM chip & Quill T3 exhaust.
IMG-20200919-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20201010-WA0002.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber

Post by Tvrv37 »

IMG-20200905-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200919-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20201010-WA0002.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber

Post by Tvrv37 »

IMG-20200919-WA0003.jpeg
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber

Post by Tvrv37 »

IMG-20201010-WA0002.jpeg
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

Nice
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

Looking good.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

If winter wasn't here already, it will be now ....... I've given some love to both bikes :shock:

The "pretty one" has been suffering from an annoying misfire at low revs. After a bit of investigation it was apparent no.3 cylinder was the offender, which suggested it could be either plugs or injector. This injector keeps a positive feed on the overrun, as part of the EBS system, to minimise the impact of engine braking on the drive train/rear tyre without the need for a mechanical slipper clutch, and the controlling relay can fail causing issues.

To get to the sparkplugs, you have to remove the airbox. To remove the airbox you have to remove the fuel tank & airtubes. To remove the tank you have to remove the seat unit & side panels. To remove the airtubes you have to remove the whole upper fairing, side panels & belly pan. That means a grand total of three M5 allen screws for the tank & seat unit and around eighteen Dzus fasteners and two M6 allen screws for the whole fairing ...... or about 20mins :)) :)) The airbox is held in with two M6 bolts, and as the filter is a re-usable foam one, that came out for a wash and re-oil.
IMG_20201010_134018884c.jpg
IMG_20201010_134051176c.jpg
IMG_20201010_145633618c.jpg
The sparkplugs are a little fiddly to get out (the inner ones, at least) but straight forward enough to replace. To resolve the EBS relay issue, the simplest route is to bypass it (a replacement relay is around £150). This means tweaks to the ECU and a bridge-plug for the unit itself .... so whilst the Eprom was being played with a few other updates were added as well - reducing timing retard in the lower gears, the way the maps respond to TPS movement and a few other little bits.

And some gratuitous video clips ....

https://youtu.be/Jpv0RGYge5g

https://youtu.be/gTuHka0JcLQ

https://youtu.be/5f-Gzr3vdqg

Just for a little comedy moment, whilst sitting the tank in place and reconnecting the fuel lines to the pump to test run it, I managed to dislodge one of the connectors on the fuel rail without realising it, so when I turned one the ignition my waist and crotch got a liberal soaking of high pressure fuel spraying everywhere 8-} x_x

I finally got it back together today, but then found it was still trapped in the garage thanks to a flat tyre and a dead battery on t'other one .... So the "black sheep" got a new (smaller LiPo) battery and some air in its tyres, so it could be moved out of the way. After giving both a little test run, cut short on the MV because it started to drizzle on Haldon, the TL is about to go on the bench now - new plugs, valve clearance check, check cam buckets (they're prone to cracking on older bikes) and maybe some visual upgrades I've been promising it for the last eight or nine years :-bd
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away