Idle hands in lockdown

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Diggler
Learner Driver

Idle hands in lockdown

Post by Diggler »

So the idea was a return to racing for 2021, nothing too serious and opted for a Minitwin class, this soon changed to Supertwin as it provides a little more freedom to fettle with the bike. So far I’ve been able to turn a reasonably sorted svr650 into bike confetti.

The idea, to strip all the bearings out and replace whilst giving the bike a refresh, and a lick of paint (ideas on colours on the back of a postcard please) also this lead to changing the rear end. Firstly to fit a GSXR750 rear wheel and Aprilla underslung calliper mount with a brembo caliper, this soon developed further to mating a GSR600 swingarm to the svr frame...... hours of frustrating fun in the garage.
26BF793D-6D2B-48CB-9C6F-21ACB2075F32.jpeg
BE0C6861-D3CA-4707-B44A-0AD8BC918404.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NEW ERA F600 CHAMPION 2010
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Idle hands in lockdown

Post by billinom8s »

Looks like someone is talking this a bit seriously.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Most impressed with the bike alterations.
You say a return to racing I take it you raced before.
What racing have you done to date? What did you find the most enjoyable?
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Diggler
Learner Driver

Post by Diggler »

It was all fun, but at the same time frustrating. Enjoyed endurance racing when it used to be 6 hours, very much a team effort. My last full season was in 2010, it was a massive effort and by the end a financial burden, but came away with a bunch of plastic pots and a title. I raced 400’s and 600’s, the cbrs and zxr 400’s were easy and felt uncrashable (until I crashed) and just a bit of a jolly. Racing in F600 was great, large fields, very close racing, but too serious and expensive to carry on another season. I was getting through a set of tyres a day, but now to be at the pointy end you need fresh rubber for every outing.

I vowed I wouldn’t bother racing again, but it’s strange, racing ruins track days, it’s fun having time on track but it’s not the same.

If you’re thinking of having a go, do it just be prepared for the expense.Don’t race anything that you couldn’t afford to throw away, and be prepared to never quite be satisfied with track days again.

You’ll meet some great people off track and in the paddock, on track they just want to kill you !
Diggler
Learner Driver

Post by Diggler »

Swingarm almost grafted to the frame, quite a bit of machining, measuring and re-measuring. Next stage, dog bones, what length ad how to attach them to the swingarm
EDB20A7D-48CB-4F40-B9EE-4B3E86B56684.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Diggler wrote: Mar 28th, '21, 18:10 Swingarm almost grafted to the frame, quite a bit of machining, measuring and re-measuring. Next stage, dog bones, what length ad how to attach them to the swingarm EDB20A7D-48CB-4F40-B9EE-4B3E86B56684.jpeg
Grinder and welder will sort all your problems out easy enough
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"