Battery terminals.

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Garryzzr1400
Learner Driver
First Name: Garry

Battery terminals.

Post by Garryzzr1400 »

Hi all.
I knever thought something apparently so simple could turn into a mine field.......

Removed my battery and cleaned terminals as they had fured alot.

Thought I'd put a smear of vasoline on terminals after re-connecting everything, but apparently that's very old school and not right, I should use a special de-electrofied grease,

Anybody else heard of this?
Agree with it or not?
Thanks for any info.

Garry
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Battery terminals.

Post by Jug »

Vaseline is perfectly fine.

Dielectric grease is what is often used in electronics for low voltage connectors/connections, and is most commonly a silicone based grease.
"Dielectric" just means it is an insulator, which is what you need in a multi-pin connector carrying low power signals as you don't want crosstalk.

On something like a battery pretty much any grease would be fine. It just has to keep moisture out of the joint.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Garryzzr1400
Learner Driver
First Name: Garry

Post by Garryzzr1400 »

Thanks for you reply Jug.

You have confirmed everything I thought and I've learnt about why multi pin connectors need the insulation.
Which makes perfect science.

I'm a member of another bike group and when I asked for people's options on vasoline or copper grease I basically got called stupid with out it actualy being said, and told never to use either of them and buy the proper stuff.

All its for is to keep the moisture away to prolong the fur building up, know idea why people to over complicate things.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Richard (Jug) is correct in confirming your own common sense. After reconnecting at the terminals pretty much any medium will do to keep moisture at bay.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't