New rider. New here

Introduce yourself and meet your fellow riders. Please don't forget to mention how you found us.
Chicken Tendies
Learner Driver
First Name: Luke

New rider. New here

Post by Chicken Tendies »

Hi all,

Recently just passed my DAS and looking to develop skills and learn from other more experienced riders. Currently out practising at every opportunity. Discovered this group with a bit of help from Google. Riding a Yamaha Fazer 8 (first bike) and loving it. Based in Exeter.

Cheers

Luke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: New rider. New here

Post by billinom8s »

Hi Luke, pretty bike you got there.

Plenty of experience here on the forum, some good some bad, some very questionable.

Everybody will have a slightly different approach to the same problems so all I would say is get as much info from as many people as possible and then form your own solution from the combined options, that way you're not just blindly following.

After a while it'll come naturally to you, just don't be in a hurry to ride too fast - Hospital food sucks and garage bills are huge these days.

Enjoy.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Ride out this Sunday. You're welcome to join. We'll look after you.
http://www.southwestbikers.com/viewtopic.php?t=101749
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Chicken Tendies
Learner Driver
First Name: Luke

Post by Chicken Tendies »

What's the etiquette in regards to Rideout's? Do you need an intercom or just follow the leader? What happens if you get separated from the group for some reason? Cheers
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

Generally we use the 2nd rider drop off to mark all junctions. When done properly you don't loose anyone.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Never ride out of your own comfort zone either. Ride at your pace and you'll be fine, try to keep up with a faster or more reckless rider and you'll end up in the gixxer storage area.

Keep the bike behind you in your mirror and the guy in front will do the same for you, if you disappear from sight then they should slow down until you reappear.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Hi Luke

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you with us and also good to know that Google is doing its job and promoting the best biking location on the net :o)

As I think you have now experienced and you will find as you do more rides with us, the basic rule is that the leader is responsible for ensuring the group stays together and will explain what to do at the start of the ride, either a drop off / junction marker system or a “keep um in your mirrors” type ride depending on numbers. Anybody can plan and lead a ride all are welcome to have a crack

But 100% golden rule, you ride at your pace as you feel comfortable never try to “keep up” just because the guy in front is going quicker.

Hope you have lots of fun and I’m quite sure there are many hear who have tips of wisdom for you if your interested.

Enjoy and hope to catch you in a ride some time soon.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.