Bit of a flop

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caveman
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Damien

Bit of a flop

Post by Caveman »

Sadly our little organised ride out was bit of a flop, it ended up just being myself and a mate. I’m keen to keep organising but would just like a little feed back from others on how to get a better response.

We plan to keep aiming the ride outs at 125s because we remember how daunting it was as a 125er to feel a little accepted in the bike community and want to try and squash that and just unite all the bikes regardless of what size.

If you have a bigger bike and want to join in please do our rides will always be open to everyone just with the main focus being on the 125ers.

We’re plodders/bimblers so won’t be showing off that we have bigger bikes if anything we’ll probably be slower just enjoying the motions of the road.

Going forward we’re planning on setting the ride up to either be once every two weeks or once every month to just give a bit of time for those to plan if they want to come or not.

Can I just ask those who have organised successful ride outs, is there a better a day that’s more responsive than others? Is there a better time? We’ve been aiming for 1800 on Wednesdays but realise that’s also on langports bike nights.
Also what would make it more appealing for others to want to tag on?

In terms of we expect, we are not fussed on what bike you ride you will get no judgement and if there’s is any we will try and squash it, we want everyone to feel welcome and just take it as an opportunity to ride with likeminded people, we don’t care how old you are wether your 16 or 96 your welcome we don’t care if your male female or even a toaster there will be no judgment you ride a bike that’s Good enough for us. However we do expect your bikes to be road worthy if it’s hanging out if it’s backside and is barely road legal have a re think as we don’t want to be drawing any unnecessary attention from the authorities, make sure you have fuel and enough money to get more if needed and a coffee.

We are Bridgwater based and are friendly weird looking chaps I look like a bald jack black and my mate Is fortunate enough to look like Gerald from the Witcher, if you see us about riding and want to just tag in then please do we’re often out and about riding to weston, cheddar burnham for a local chilled ride. I ride a banged out red Honda cbr600 f3 it looks like a shed, And my friend rides a Kawasaki verseys 650, his is less she’d like and shiny. We both have weird stickers on our wind screens so keep an eye open and feel free to just say hi, flip us the bird if it eases you into saying hello.
Caveman :(|)
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Re: Bit of a flop

Post by ptolemyx »

The fact you're aiming at being 125 friendly in itself will put off those like myself that like a brisker pace. We do post "friendly" rides for those new to biking and those that want to bimble. Example being the annual Run To The Bun to catch a midsummer sunrise at Lands End.
We also do plenty of "making good progress" rides for the more experienced riders who like a quicker pace. Do not be misled though, track god antics are frowned upon.
There is no Ideal time to do a ride that suits everyone. Early evening on a weekday from Bridgwater is unlikely to attract many, but if it suits you that's great. Sundays are popular as more peeps are free then (work - what a quaint notion :mrgreen: ). I've tried realatively early starts so we get back in good time - that doesn't suit the late risers. I've tried nearer noon for them- that doesn't really suit me. Simon often does really early starts and I'll happily leave North Devon at 05.00 to meet him down South for a 06.00 start.
Another factor is where a ride starts and finishes. SWB membership covers a large area; Cornwall, South Devon, North Devon, Somerset and beyond. Many do not want to travel from one area to another saying "its too far". Some of us though enjoy the ride to the start to meet the rest of the gang. I'm in North Devon but I still like to vary my ride starts, Tiverton, Wellington, Honiton, Exeter.
Finally, on a purely personal note, I thought you're route uninspiring.

Do not be put off posting you're rides :-bd just accept that no ride suits everybody. Keep doing what you do and those who like a similar ride will come out of the woodwork.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Time of ride can be difficult to judge, as can the day/date.

Weekends and bank holidays tend to pull more riders out of the wood work, but plenty on here have either retired or have work patterns that allow for mid week rides, so they can often have a good turn out.

Unfortunately for you I think weekday evening rides will be the least popular. I only ever ride evenings if there is an evening event (or meet up) happening, or we're having a heat wave so it's the only tolerable time to be out (as I'm not keen on early morning rides).

Also, I haven't seen many 125 riders on here, but seeing "125 friendly" in title would put me off straight away.
It is great that you want to try and encourage 125 riders out though, so I wish you the best go forwards.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Think as said above that timing of the ride might make a difference as I personally have found the evening rides attract a little less attention then weekend rides. Does not mean you should not do them but if your looking for a bigger crowd then this will make a difference.

I also publishes all posted rides on the SWB Facebook page and also do WhatsApp broadcast. But being honest currently on holiday in Spain and have to catch up a bit %-( :!!

Think it is great that your hosting 125 rides and encourage you to not give up let’s try to help you promote the rides and get some more numbers.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Good points from Brian and Richard (above), it saves me having to exercise my 'hunt and peck' keyboard skills to say the same thing.
If you haven't already done so, check out the following topic links to get an idea on how rideouts are organised.

Organising a rideout: http://www.southwestbikers.com/viewtopi ... 37&t=89587

'Friendly' rideout details (125cc friendly and recommended as a good introduction to SWB rideouts): http://www.southwestbikers.com/viewtopic.php?t=101764

A good idea would be to get along to a rideout organised by one of our SWB regulars and see how it all comes together. When you see one posted up that interests you, and if you have any questions at all about any aspect of it, then ask away, either on the open forum or if you're shy, send a private message to the organiser.

One last suggestion: Have a good look in the 'Rideouts' section at some that have already happened. Read through them to get a flavour of how and what happens in both the organising and on the day.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Caveman
SWB Subscriber

Post by Caveman »

Thank you all for the help and advice. Very new to all of this but keen to get as involved as I can be and help where I can, I think your right joining in on one of your ride outs will definitely help as will be good to see how things are done. Hopefully will get out soon.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

there is a 'friendly' ride posted up for over the summer, get in on that one, it's 125 friendly and is more of a social that a mile muncher. it's at posted speed limits but that doesn't mean the pace can't increase in the centre of the pack.

like has been said, keep on posting, keep on putting the word around, i'll send you some cards to promote the forum in your area(drop some off at the training schools etc) and then you may find people local to you sign up on here and become aware of the rides you're posting.

keep it up though, we all started on small bikes and it's good to try to bring on the newer riders otherwise they just give up annd bugger off to drive corsas and fiestas.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

I think the more popular evening rides are to Bike Meets. Perhaps give that a try.

The disadvantage with the 125 centric approach is that once you pass your test, the last thing most people want to do is to poddle around at 125 speeds.

Cheers
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

You mean 60 in a 60?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Yeh, who does that!
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Caveman
Your quote "make sure you have fuel and enough money to get more if needed and a coffee. "
My guess is that more people are feeling the pinch of recent times and staying home.

You and your mate went on the ride so it must have been a "success". :)
You are getting it out there so eventually others will tag along.
Caveman
SWB Subscriber

Post by Caveman »

Thank you all for your input. Moving forward I think what I’m going to do is still post when we’re riding to open the offer up for others to tag on. If they fancy the ride if not it’s no loss. I’m still keen to set up a ride out for new riders to help them gain a little more confidence but I think your right and I’ll try and aim the rides for bike nights (gives them the opportunity to meet others in the bike world) as we all know there’s a good mix of different bikers out there. Hopefully I can tag into one of the groups ride outs soon to get an idea on how they run 🏍️