BEFORE AND AFTER

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

CvPiper
Learner Driver

Post by CvPiper »

Cool I'd love to do my link pipe. Where do I get the stuff, and can the buffer heads just be used in a drill?
Total Triumph
Rides:
2014 Triumph Range ;)
[url]http://www.totaltriumph.co.uk[/url]
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Looking good mate 8) 8)
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
chris_1127
Learner Driver
Location: Paignton Rides: Yamaha xtz750, XS650 chop in (very slow) progress

Post by chris_1127 »

cms in exeter used to sell the kits, or m+p/mps. you can use a drill no probs, but be warned the sideways pressure knackers the bearing in the end of the drill pretty quick
CvPiper
Learner Driver

Post by CvPiper »

Its not my drill ;)

Will check at NEC for a kit to spend some time on my baby over winter while shes restricted to the garage.
Total Triumph
Rides:
2014 Triumph Range ;)
[url]http://www.totaltriumph.co.uk[/url]
speedy(delboy)
Learner Driver

Post by speedy(delboy) »

chris_1127 wrote:as far as i remember, pink is the finishing compound for ferrous metals, blue is the finishing compound for non-ferrous. although i could be wrong, will try and find out.

Nice finish on the exhaust though 8) ! you're going to cry when it starts blueing and discolouring though ;)
Non of my other stuff has discoloured yet and been done over 6 months of the summer including being in rain.

Craig, if you want it done read this thread

forum/viewtopic.php?t=2852&highlight=

I'll do it for free, have a read anyways.
chris_1127
Learner Driver

Post by chris_1127 »

ideal, i polished up a stainless micron a little while back, the link pipe was fine but the downpipes didnt take long to discolour. i havent done my cobra system yet as its one of those jobs that once you start you have to keep on top of, and the frame and swingarm are bad enough to keep shiny.
speedy(delboy)
Learner Driver

Post by speedy(delboy) »

chris_1127 wrote:ideal, i polished up a stainless micron a little while back, the link pipe was fine but the downpipes didnt take long to discolour. i havent done my cobra system yet as its one of those jobs that once you start you have to keep on top of, and the frame and swingarm are bad enough to keep shiny.
Chris, although I know you cant do this on the exhaust system, but what i do after the final polish (nothing that heats up thou) is I coat with laquire (check the spelling).

Just bought a few tinnies from Halfords. :lol: :lol:
chris_1127
Learner Driver

Post by chris_1127 »

how well does the laquer take to the polished surface? I thought about laquering, but thought that it might not stick to the surface very well due to the thin layer of polish left behind, and might start peeling :? the aluminium on the frame, forks and swinger go fuzzy pretty quick on mine when exposed to the elements though; i think i'm either gonna be anodising everything black or powdercoating after the next stripdown/rebuild though - minimum maintenence :lol:
speedy(delboy)
Learner Driver

Post by speedy(delboy) »

chris_1127 wrote:how well does the laquer take to the polished surface? I thought about laquering, but thought that it might not stick to the surface very well due to the thin layer of polish left behind, and might start peeling :? the aluminium on the frame, forks and swinger go fuzzy pretty quick on mine when exposed to the elements though; i think i'm either gonna be anodising everything black or powdercoating after the next stripdown/rebuild though - minimum maintenence :lol:
I did the wheels and forks and york on the CB400 and they never ever changed colour, It was the 1st time i had ever use laqure (Check spelling again) but it sure worked, was a local sprayer who suggested it. It took to the polish quit well.

If i do the frame, I will laqure that as well