E10 fuel and us.

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

E10 fuel and us.

Post by Robbo87 »

There's an in-depth article in this month's Bennetts 'Bike Social' blog on the UK Government's plan to up the ethanol content of our pump petrol fom 5% to 10% in 2021. Here's a short extract from said article, the full write up follows, just click on the link, it makes for pretty interesting reading IMO:

Among the problems with ethanol is the fact that it prefers to burn at a different air/fuel ratio than petrol. On a vehicle with fuel injection, a three-way catalytic converter and a lambda (oxygen) sensor in the exhaust, that’s not necessarily a problem, since the exhaust sensor can tell the fuel injection to compensate. Most cars have had such kit for the last 20 years, but on bikes emissions laws have been slower to catch up, so many didn’t adopt the same technology until around 2010. Since the average bike in the UK is 14.7 years old, a vast number come from the days before manufacturers had considered the use of ethanol fuels.

That’s not E10’s only problem, either. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means absorbs and mixes with water, even drawing it in from the air around it. That’s one of the reasons it can cause corrosion, since it means parts of fuel systems that were never designed to be in contact with water are suddenly exposed to it. On top of that, ethanol is a solvent and that means rubber, plastic and fibreglass parts that were designed to be in contact with pure petrol can melt once exposed to E10. Since many bikes have plastic fuel tanks, that’s a worry. A few years ago, there were issues in America – where E10 has been in use much longer, with bikes including Ducati Monsters, Sport Classics and Multistradas suffering distorted plastic fuel tanks as they reacted to ethanol in the fuel.

How else can E10 fuel cause problems for my bike?

Although the water-attracting properties of E10 aren’t necessarily a massive problem if you’re constantly using a vehicle and running through tanks of fuel, they can be amplified when a vehicle is left unused with petrol in the tank.

That’s a particular issue for bikes, since many are either laid up over winter or used sporadically with long idle periods. During that time, E10 has a reputation for going stale and undergoing ‘phase separation’ when vehicles aren’t used. That means the ethanol falls out of solution with the petrol as it absorbs more water. The result could be an engine that won’t start until the fuel is replaced, and some suggest this phase separation can take place in as little as three months.

'BIKE SOCIAL' LINK: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... d=63083565
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: E10 fuel and us.

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Yea not so great for us carbed bikers!
Another nail in the coffin
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Most plastic tanks already swelling with the current ethanol content. My KTM 950 SM was about an inch out on the rearward most mounting point. Use to have to use a large pry bar and get the bolt in quick. A lot of Ducrapis already having the same problem
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

scorcher wrote: Mar 6th, '20, 19:54 Most plastic tanks already swelling with the current ethanol content. My KTM 950 SM was about an inch out on the rearward most mounting point. Use to have to use a large pry bar and get the bolt in quick. A lot of Ducrapis already having the same problem
Yup, I can identify with the plastic tank thing. My last three bikes, '99 955 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Aprilia RST 1000 and 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 all had plastic tanks and the last two had (and the 1050 still has) problems with tank swell; interestingly, the 955 didn't. On the 1050 I've had to elongate the rear tank mounting holes to get the through bolt to fit, I believe the 1050 Sprints went to steel tanks after 2008, so no guessing what my next mod's gonna be.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

TBH I think that plastic tanks just swell with use anyway.
In the trail bike world it's kind of a known thing that the older an aftermarket 'large' fuel tank is, the more it holds..., and this observation pre-dates the E5 fuel. Sadly from what I've read the E5 fuel wasn't a problem but once you get to E10 you may start to have issues.

I've had "Euro fuel" that was left in my trail bike go off in just a few months. I spent hours trying to find the problem and finally in desperation tried fresh UK fuel and miraculously my bike was running fine again.
If we do actually go to E10 in 2021 then I will be draining the bikes at the end of each season.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Blender81
Learner Driver
First Name: Ben

Post by Blender81 »

I thought E10 was already the norm in the South West, clearly not
APRILIA RSV gen1....Bbrrrraaaaaaappppp
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Blender81 wrote: Mar 7th, '20, 21:48 I thought E10 was already the norm in the South West, clearly not
Nothing's normal down here, we're the land that time (and Westminster) forgot. And putting E10 in our tanks won't make it any better.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

E10 will be crap for all bikes. If you've spent money on performance and had it dyno tuned/remapped consider it money down the drain when we're forced to use pisswater as fuel. If you've ever had to get a tankful from Asda you'll know all too well....
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

Well that sucks for all of those tax and mot exempt vehicles out there 😔
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

ptolemyx wrote: Mar 8th, '20, 06:07 E10 will be crap for all bikes. If you've spent money on performance and had it dyno tuned/remapped consider it money down the drain when we're forced to use pisswater as fuel. If you've ever had to get a tankful from Asda you'll know all too well....
You'll be able to fill yuor own bike then Brian.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Mr Tuscan wrote: Mar 6th, '20, 19:35 Yea not so great for us carbed bikers!
Another nail in the coffin
Time to upgrade? ;;)
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Not finished the bike yet let alone upgrade lol

But it did cross my mind how hard a job is it to fit injection seeing as my bike is still made but in injection form?????
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

Screenshot_20200309-191741_Samsung Internet.jpg
Look like I missed my compatibility by 2 years that sucks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

IT'S only gonna be in the supreme fuel, the red's diesel you use in yours and I use in mine will be the same as always.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.