Compulsory face masks... what about helmets??

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Compulsory face masks... what about helmets??

Post by Jug »

VirtualMark wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 09:01 Riot police usually wear Alpine Stars full leathers? And I always carry my riot shield and baton when riding my motorcycle... :))
No but riot police wear helmets and impact protection.. does that resemble anything you use on your motorcycle?

I think some people just look for things to get upset about.
You don't have a right to shop but the shop does have the right to refuse to sell to you.

Many riders question why the general public often have a negative perception of motorcycle riders, I think your attitude goes some way to explaining why.

Also if you go on a public forum and ask for opinions then be sure you are mentally prepared to have people dissagree with you, it can be rough on the more sensitive types. :)):
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I take my helmet off and they take one look then phone the riot police and men in white coats to collect me back to the asylum :mrgreen:

In all honesty their apparent discrimination is their problem, not mine. Mind you with my face covering helmet in one hand it can take an awful long time to find my wallet with the other hand to pay.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Lots of bikes come from the factory with a helmet locks fitted to them... just say'in...
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Mr Tuscan »

And to think I edited my post as I thought it came across a bit rude lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

lol did I mention I have no friends. :mrgreen:
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Mr Tuscan wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 09:52 I don’t get the ‘discrimination’ thing

Someone wears a head covering for religious reasons, so that’s worn all the time.
Someone wears a face mask because it’s being made law for COVID-19

When you enter the shop with a bike helmet on, your no longer riding your bike, just take it off, don’t see the issue.
I always have.
You sometimes see that sign asking for bike helmets to be removed before entering, it’s their shop and their rules, I just comply. Don’t give it a seconds thought
Pfft .... far too reasonable and sensible a response ... Really!! =)) =))

I wouldn't dream of wearing a crash helmet for "normal/domestic" shopping. I also can't say I've been asked to remove my helmet at fuel pumps in a long time - if they do I just ask where they've provided the clean, secure, fuel/contaminant free storage for my (more than a couple hundred pounds) helmet ....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
VirtualMark
Learner Driver
First Name: Mark

Post by VirtualMark »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 10:53
VirtualMark wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 09:01 Riot police usually wear Alpine Stars full leathers? And I always carry my riot shield and baton when riding my motorcycle... :))
No but riot police wear helmets and impact protection.. does that resemble anything you use on your motorcycle?

I think some people just look for things to get upset about.
You don't have a right to shop but the shop does have the right to refuse to sell to you.

Many riders question why the general public often have a negative perception of motorcycle riders, I think your attitude goes some way to explaining why.

Also if you go on a public forum and ask for opinions then be sure you are mentally prepared to have people dissagree with you, it can be rough on the more sensitive types. :)):
Oh you completely have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to laugh at it and dismiss it as nonsense. If you can't tell the difference between riot police armed with weapons and a motorcyclist, then I'd recommend you get an eye test.

And to be honest, I think you're the one with the attitude problem. Assuming why people apparently have a problem with bikers... nobody has had a problem with me at all. I always nod and wave at people who let me out, I'm polite and curteous. Have you interviewed everyone and found out why they have a problem with you? Perhaps it's your bad attitude? Your actions here would certainly point to you being an angry, disagreeable person.

And the post isn't about having "the right to shop", it's about being singled out when everyone else is covering their faces.
VirtualMark
Learner Driver

Post by VirtualMark »

TLS-Moose wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 14:15
Mr Tuscan wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 09:52 I don’t get the ‘discrimination’ thing

Someone wears a head covering for religious reasons, so that’s worn all the time.
Someone wears a face mask because it’s being made law for COVID-19

When you enter the shop with a bike helmet on, your no longer riding your bike, just take it off, don’t see the issue.
I always have.
You sometimes see that sign asking for bike helmets to be removed before entering, it’s their shop and their rules, I just comply. Don’t give it a seconds thought
Pfft .... far too reasonable and sensible a response ... Really!! =)) =))

I wouldn't dream of wearing a crash helmet for "normal/domestic" shopping. I also can't say I've been asked to remove my helmet at fuel pumps in a long time - if they do I just ask where they've provided the clean, secure, fuel/contaminant free storage for my (more than a couple hundred pounds) helmet ....
I've never seen any storage for helmets? Where are they?

When I was in Ibiza, they have storage lockers in the supermarkets. You just pop your helmet in there and take a key, then retrieve it when you leave. It's a pretty good system!
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

VirtualMark wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 14:57

When I was in Ibiza, they have storage lockers in the supermarkets. You just pop your helmet in there and take a key, then retrieve it when you leave. It's a pretty good system!
My point precisely. Sarcasm. Why would I take my helmet costing several hundred pounds off and place it on a dirty fuel pump where another motorist could knock it off, spill whatever over it or even pinch it? If they provide a secure shelf/locker I'd consider using it. Until then, it stays on my noggin :-bd
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
VirtualMark
Learner Driver

Post by VirtualMark »

TLS-Moose wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 15:07
VirtualMark wrote: Jul 15th, '20, 14:57

My point precisely. Sarcasm. Why would I take my helmet costing several hundred pounds off and place it on a dirty fuel pump where another motorist could knock it off, spill whatever over it or even pinch it? If they provide a secure shelf/locker I'd consider using it. Until then, it stays on my noggin :-bd
Ah yeah missed the sarcasm! B-)

I've actually never been asked to take my helmet off in a petrol station. Only when I go into supermarkets. I'm surprised that it's such a high priority to get someone to remove head protection in the middle of a global pandemic. Especially since we're being told to cover our faces, and CCTV couldn't reliably identify people with masks on. Such a crazy situation.
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

Let's be honest we have all seen "have you seen this person" captured still from a cctv camera even before any face coverings you couldnt even make out if it was a man or a woman let alone make a positive ID
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

It's down to car drivers doing driveaways.

I don't see the reason in taking the lid off, you can Wall around in a hat and face mask, both of which are non distinctive. At least a persons lid is relatively individual, that connected to the bike in the carpark should give a fairly good form of tracing am owner should they do something to upset a delicate soul in the shop.(see I avoided the use of snowflake there?)
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

That's why I don't think it's really about identification.
We're talking about a shop and not a filling station, so driveaways isn't the issue. Any would-be thief can wear a mask (like cyclists wear) or just clothing to obscure their face so the in store CCTV is defeated.

The expectation by staff (and the public) is that customers won't be wearing full face crash helmets, as it's not normal for people to walk the streets like that. So if you do you raise suspicion.

Either way they own the shop, so they set the rules. There is zero chance the government will intervene especially with the low amount of signatures a petition about this will get.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Late to the party commenting on this one but I also feel strongly about this. At the start of COVID I would drive to a supermarket then get out the car put gloves and a crash helmet in and then go shopping. The first time I did it at Tesco in Newton Abbot I got 90% round the shop then was stopped by a manager of the store and a security guard and asked to remove it. I challenged it and said I was waring it for my safety and the safety of store staff but they were having none of it. Since then I wrote to the local council (and got no reply) and then continued on my quest. Morrison’s, Tesco’s Extra and Spar all took a more sensible approach as on entering the store I approached the security guard with my driving licence on a lanyard and identified myself before shopping. They just said crack on.

As much as I get People wanting to rob a store could use a helmet to hide their identity I challenged the manager at Tesco’s and said you will allow me to shop in this store waring a Muslin Burka but covering my full face but you will not allow a crash helmet. “Sorry sir it’s company policy”

Wrong I tell you wrong.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Mr Tuscan »

All that time wasted and you could be riding, I choose my battles carefully.....ain’t got time for that :p
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!