Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Nuttyboy
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Bike advice

Post by Nuttyboy »

Hi
I have just sold my Honda fireblade as after my back surgery I find the position hurts my back.

I have been looking at either a KTMm 950 supermoto or a Ducati 1100 Hypermotard and wondered if anyone has any experience on these bike and how they ride on Cornish lanes

Martin
scorcher
Learner Driver

Re: Bike advice

Post by scorcher »

I've had a couple of 950SM's. Fantastically smooth bikes to ride and about the right sort of BHP V weight for hooning around lanes on. Great brakes and handling if you get it set up right. Getting on in years now (last ones built 2007 / registered 2011)and some bits no longer being listed by KTM. Also suffer from fuel tank swelling from ethanol which can make them difficult to get back on.Later 990 tanks will fit with some fabrication. Plastic Ducati tanks suffer the same problems. Engine casings can suffer from corrosion.
Nuttyboy
Learner Driver

Post by Nuttyboy »

Hi all,
I hope everyone has kept safe during these tough times, unfortunately I have been of a bike for a while due to an M.E flare up and are just getting back to normal and are now looking for a new bike have ruled out the busa and zx12r due to weight and size, I really fancy the Ducati hypermotard 1100 but want something I can use around cornwall for fun ride outs but are also planning trips to the TT and Irish road races next year and suggestions welcome and does anyone have any experience on the bmw R1200gs
Cheers
Martin
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Depending on your budget take a look at the MV Brutale - either the 3-cyl 800's or the 4-cyl 910/990/1090. The 4-cyl bikes are a more sensible price and generally reliable (certainly as good as most japanese bikes).
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

i have a Hypermotard 796, easily the most fun bike i have ever had, it had a few "italian" moments when i first bought it but this was mostly down to poor maintenance from previous owners, the upright position makes it comfortable in traffic but it really comes into its own on twisty b roads, occasionally i want a little more power and the fuel tank is miniscule but for 90% of my riding its the perfect bike, id imagine the 1100 although slightly heavier would be ideal :-bd

i see you want it for longer journeys TT etc if your happy sitting at 80-90mph and frequent fuel stops then yep, otherwise, personally id be looking at a Tuono or s1000r sport, i previously had a KTM 625 sm it was enough to put me off KTM for life
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear of your back surgery, and the sale of your Fireblade too....
Mate I currently have a 2020 BMW S1000rr and love it.. it’s far more comfortable than the blade.... however. When my new bike went in for a recall they gave me a brand new GS1250... it’s awesome mate loaded with all the goodies including auto blipped too.... I’m 50 and when I get to the point to have a more luxurious ride then the GS 1250 is on my radar.

Jay
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Hi Martin

Again sorry to hear about the back. Not great news.

Over the last year I have changed from Gixxer thou over to a BMW F900R naked bike. Have to say the riding position is chalk and cheese its so much nicer and more comfortable but you still get all of the fun toys (Brembo brakes, ABS, Quick Shifter, Auto blipper, Slipper clutch etc) just so easy to ride and so smooth would recommend you give one a try or maybe something similar in the middle weight naked class.

Good luck.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

s1000xr. Upright sports bike. Cruise control, auto blipper and you can tour on it. Did 4k miles on mine last year. More miles in lockdown than the last 3 years combined.

Just to say we were not actually in lockdown at the time of my riding lol
Running on MT
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

If you've a bad back, why looking for a big, heavy bike?

Not thought of a 650 or 700?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Ktm 890 Duke = 169kg dry weight so about 180kg wet, new Triumph Trident 660 = 189kg wet weight. Enough oomph to be exciting and nice low weight for people with bad backs.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Agree with the above absolutely.

Or even the Tuono 660 that's just been launched. MCN reckon it's halfway between the Trident and the 890 Duke. I've got the 790 Duke and find it comfortable on long journeys and quick enough.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Just to confuse the issue..
I bought an BMW s1000XR. Shifts with all the grunt you need, Comfortable up right position and engine and suspension modes.
The same inline S1000RR engine, albeit in a lazier state of tune, and you're not suddenly pat of the GS club just because you bought a big touring BM. That said, the GS 1250 is also an awesome bit of kit if you don't mind re mortgaging the house.

Hope the ME is as well as can be buddy.
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Nuttyboy
Learner Driver

Post by Nuttyboy »

Hi guys
I hope you are all keeping well, I am looking for a commuter to get from st mawes to st austell daily and occasionally Bodmin,

I have looked at BMW f650’s or the good old VFR800 and wondered if anyone has and experience on these or can throw anything in the mix, only looking at spending a few grand

Martin
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Can't go wrong with something like a fazer or hornet, they'll go on forever and be comfy.

All depends what style of thing you want. Big, heavy Tourer, lightweight commuter,semi adventure etc.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Grumpy Jase
Learner Driver
First Name: Jason

Post by Grumpy Jase »

I had a 2004 VFR for about 7 years, sold in 2020. Loved it, did lots of miles and generally very few problems. The VTEC system drew a lot of criticism, but I really enjoyed the change in character as it rev'd past 7000RPM. It was comfy, handled reasonably well, quick enough and was pretty economical. I commuted, scratched and toured on mine. It was a bit heavy on tyres, especially rear, but I seem to go through tyres faster then most. Suited Michelin Pilot Road's really well

Things to look out for are the valve clearance check is very expensive, if you can find someone to do it. I did mine at 48k miles as my local mechanic basically refused saying it took to long and he couldn't realistically charge for the time. Took me about 15hrs! That said, the bike had never had clearances adjusted up to that point, and I had 5 valves very slightly outside spec. So if it is a cheap bike, you could probably get away without doing it. Other issues were due to the loom ageing and wires getting brittle, so be wary of electrical gremlins
I'm not really grumpy, just misunderstood
:D :D
Bikes
2010 BMW K1300S
2006 Aprilia Tuono
2009 Benelli Tornado Tre RS
2001 Kawasaki ER5 (project)
1999 Yamaha R1 Track Bike