Petrol tank stripping

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Petrol tank stripping

Post by julesh »

need to strip and respray a tank before the start of the trackday season, i have stripped several old layers already but the original factory paint is an absolute nightmare, the paint stripper wont touch it theres also layers of paint still in the nadgery hard to get to bits, quick google for my local area and we have a few shot blasting companies that do industrial, i'm thinking i'm going to need somebody who uses a very fine grit/sand so as not to leave the tank pitted and rough as a*seholes, somebody who takes a little care :-bd

Any recommendations please preferably in the Somerset area but can post if need be
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Petrol tank stripping

Post by Ruffian »

Look for either soda or vapour blasting rather than shot blasting.

Will make a big difference but personally a decent 40grit or 60grit da will tear through most paints.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

What Ian says. I'd avoid any kind of blasting process for the tank. No matter how careful you are, blasting media will find its way into the tank, no matter how hard you try to keep it out.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Another in agreement with Ian. I'd DA it down to bare metal. Finish the primer to at least 1200 grit before base coat etc.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Is there any need to go all the way back to bare metal if you're going to repaint anyway?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Saves the (admittedly rare) possibility of solvent interaction, especially if the item was previously wax polished to death. I do have that t-shirt :roll:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

are you using nitromors or diy store paint stripper ? I have noy used this but am told it is lethal to most paints https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-I ... SwaTtdvWAo
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

julesh wrote: Dec 31st, '20, 10:32 need to strip and respray a tank before the start of the trackday season, i have stripped several old layers already but the original factory paint is an absolute nightmare, the paint stripper wont touch it theres also layers of paint still in the nadgery hard to get to bits, quick google for my local area and we have a few shot blasting companies that do industrial, i'm thinking i'm going to need somebody who uses a very fine grit/sand so as not to leave the tank pitted and rough as a*seholes, somebody who takes a little care :-bd

Any recommendations please preferably in the Somerset area but can post if need be
Sod it, if you cant be arsed,
Will do it for some beer tokens if needed.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Mervin wrote: Dec 31st, '20, 18:34 are you using nitromors or diy store paint stripper ? I have noy used this but am told it is lethal to most paints https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-I ... SwaTtdvWAo
I have used that (or something very similar looking) and it took my Hornet forks back to alloy pretty quickly.
I then used it on all the lacquer'd alloy bits that were looking nasty, before polishing and re-coating.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Fill it up with water and set about it with a blowtorch...
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
gee46
Learner Driver
First Name: gareth

Post by gee46 »

There is no need to go back to bare metal you just need to sand it back to give it a decent key for the primer to grip into but a good sand back with 120 grit on a DA sander will be more then enough.
Then once high build primer and a flat back with 500 grit it will be ready for top coat.
All metallic colours and straight colours will easily cover 500 grit sanding.