Beware buying from Europe

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: Beware buying from Europe

Post by Scotty »

I recently bought some Raximo levers for my 1290 SDR, and they come from Germany... bit of the back story; I'd seen their levers on a 790 Duke on a trackday and liked the look so included them in my search for a set of levers when the time came. Unlike ordering cheap (and dangerous) Chinese crap from eBay or Amazon, the ordering process is fairly long-winded; identify the spec you want (folding, extendable etc) and select, then from the webpage you download a configuration form on which you select the colour combinations that you want, and email it back to them (having registered as a customer). When your levers are ready they email you to advise and give you the price in € -in my case €136.00. What they didn't advise was the easiest way to pay, which is to go to the website and your "basket" and at checkout specify using a credit card. I didn't realise this and used the IBAN number on their email and set up a currency transfer via Santander. That wasn't difficult in itself, but Santander burned me £25 for the pleasure.
I can't blame the vendors for that, I just rushed in without exploring an easier way.
Had I paid via credit card, the levers would have cost me all of £117.70, delivered. No fuss, no bill from HMRC, plus they come with a TüV Type Approval certificate, which your cheap Chinese junk won't have...
For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the website:
https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/br ... r=10019019
Brake Lever:

Clutch Lever:
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Re: Beware buying from Europe

Post by menzies3032 »

Scotty wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 22:04 When your levers are ready they email you to advise and give you the price in € -in my case €136.00. What they didn't advise was the easiest way to pay, which is to go to the website and your "basket" and at checkout specify using a credit card. I didn't realise this and used the IBAN number on their email and set up a currency transfer via Santander. That wasn't difficult in itself, but Santander burned me £25 for the pleasure.
I can't blame the vendors for that, I just rushed in without exploring an easier way.
To start really great levers so well worth the effort

Having done lots of international travel pre covid and also now lots on online shopping can I offer a hot tip which is to get yourself a "Revolut" card / app this is an online bank that allows you to pay for goods online with a disposable one use online card to stop fraud also the way it works you upload money to the card so there is a limit to the money that can be taken from your account, but also you can change money between currencies in seconds at no charge and this is fantastic for online shopping without any charges and also great if you spending when on holiday. Highly recommend it well worth a look.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.