Triumph rectifier replacement

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Triumph rectifier replacement

Post by Red5 »

OK, so appears the mighty trumpet 675 had decided to throw it's toys out in the form of a buggered rectifier. Before I go straight out and re mortgage the house for a genuine Triumph part or buy a rubbish pattern part, just wondered what folks experiences or opinions are about the different brands out there. My train of thought seems to be towards a brand called MOSFET just now.

Thoughts and ideas please...

:D O:-) :-bd
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Re: Triumph rectifier replacement

Post by MellowYellow »

Might have one from my 955. Will look tomorrow. Any good ?????
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Yes.. MOSFET.
It's not a brand but a type of switch.

Standard ones (older types) use Thyristors as the switches within them, and in a shunt configuration (shorting the stator when the voltage gets too high).
Some better ones use MOSFET's as a switch rather than using Thyristors.
Better ones use MOSFET's in a series configuration (breaking or opening the circiut from the stator when the voltage gets too high).
The newest (and maybe best) use MOSFET's for Phase Control which gives better power control rather than just chopping it as with all previous types.

This is huge topic, initially it was feared that damage to be caused if using a Series where previously a Shunt type was used.
However.. over the years people have be retro-fitting them to many brands of bike and experiencing no issues.
The upside is MOEFET's seem to be more reliable, and the series versions give a cooler running stator.

I've been watching this progress for several years (on many forums) and I'm now at the point that if the R/R on any of my bikes failed I'd replace it with a MOSFET Series type R/R.

The choice is either to buy a generic one power rated high enough for your bike (normally made by shindengen) or to seek one used from another bike that came with one as standard. I believe from a certain year onwards the CBR600R's had MOSFET R/R, so people were buying those and changing the plugs on thier bike to fit it.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Exactly what sayeth he of the jug inspection persuasion, get a Shindengen MOSFET Regulator/Rectifier and change the connectors. There's a heap of info' out there regarding this - just be very aware of the Chineseium knock-offs, there's plenty of them too.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Moto electrical are a reputable UK supplier who I highly recommend. Give them a call:-
https://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/produc ... 008/675cc/
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Red5
SWB Subscriber
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Looking like MOSFET is the way to go. And that shendigham or what you said...
Thank you, good to hear others opinions.
Larry, do you have a part number of your spare one?? Might be worth me checking if it's compatible on a newer bike.
:-bd :-bd
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Phone Motoelectrical, they are the experts:-
01953 603420
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Red5 wrote: Apr 22nd, '22, 09:36Larry, do you have a part number of your spare one?? Might be worth me checking if it's compatible on a newer bike. :-bd :-bd
I can't find a part no. but I have virtually the whole bike in bits. Engine still in frame, swing arm (DS) seperate. Both wheels forks etc. Complete loom, headlights, bits of fairing ......
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Also available a lovely and unique seat, several handle bars, oil and main radiators+ + +
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Don't forget, if your rectifier decide to do one, then worth checking your battery and genny output to make sure they aren't damaged too. In the past i've found that when one of the three dies then the other two aren't far behind.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

billinom8s wrote: Apr 22nd, '22, 23:29 Don't forget, if your rectifier decide to do one, then worth checking your battery and genny output to make sure they aren't damaged too. In the past i've found that when one of the three dies then the other two aren't far behind.
Double agree with that check your stator output deffo
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Red5
SWB Subscriber

Post by Red5 »

Well, after some testing and checking and comparing and swapping between the track and road Daytonas, it's only the blimmin ECU. Hmm.
Oh well, ebay special OE Triumph enroute, hopefully be good. :-bd \m/
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

or get it flashed by hilltop racinng
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Hey nick I know it may be stating the obvious,

But be careful swapping the ecu as maybe coded to the key set for the imobilizer also.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"