Starting up issues?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
BikerGnerd
Learner Driver
First Name: Berni

Starting up issues?

Post by BikerGnerd »

I have a Triumph Tiger XRx 800
Recently she has been a real bugger to start, takes a fair few tries then getting smoked for a fewwhile she warms up..

Having never had this issue on a 125 I am stumped and just looking for possible cause and if its something I can fix?

Any info greatly received.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Re: Starting up issues?

Post by Ming »

I had a 2014 Tiger 800 and never had a problem starting it. How many miles on it and when were the valve clearances done? They're quite sensitive to that. Valves are due every 12k miles and a few clearances were out on mine at that mileage.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
BikerGnerd
Learner Driver

Post by BikerGnerd »

Shes a 2018 model.
Just hit 17k though I have only had her since Feb. She was on 14k when I bought her(dealership) ill have to have a look in her book to see when they were done as I can't remember ever seeing anything about it.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

If it's 17k without the clearances being checked I'd guess that might be a contributing factor. Had my 1190Adv checked at 18k and the were fine but the ones in the Tiger 800 have a more frequent service interval and go out of tolerance easier
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

As you bought from a dealer, I assume there was a warranty? As you haven't had it 3 months yet, and you say it smokes heavily once started, the first course of action should be to return to the dealer for a chat .......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

I absolutely agree with Moose. A smoking engine is not great and is due to excess fuel or oil being burnt in the cylinder and would point to wear in the injectors, valves or rings. First conversation is with the dealer unless it was purchased as a trade sale. It would need to state that on your receipt.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
BikerGnerd
Learner Driver

Post by BikerGnerd »

So this stopped as soon as it started oddly, I changed to prem fuel and that seemed to sort it out?
Though am still keeping a close eye on her.
It started 2 days after the three month warranty as did go and talk to dealer - because it wasn't every start and they needed to see it to figure out the issue it nothing further was done. :(
Thanks for all the help! <3