Tyres - clueless

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
BikerGnerd
Learner Driver
First Name: Berni

Tyres - clueless

Post by BikerGnerd »

So as my title states I am at a loss.. I have only ever replaced rear tyre(due to a piece of metal and then again due to a screw) and that was pretty straight forward.. call up state the tyre req's book in done...

I saw that my front is pretty much on limit on one side so called up to get it booked in to change etc and apparently they can't get my tyre told me to go on michelin website and have a look at the others offered.. so went on the website and they have slightly different tyre specc? for my bike... Looked in my haynes guide and it is saying the same req as what was on michelins site...

Currently on my bike I have;
Front: 110/80 r19 59V (michelin road 5 trial) rear: 150/70 zr17 69W (michelin road 5)
The haynes guide says:
front: 100/90 r19 57V rear: 150/70 rr17 69V

So my question is what do I get/do? where I normally go is suggesting i get an adventure tyre(I am getting a bit more knobbly and less smooth than the ones I have now going by the pictures online) would I need to replace rear as well to keep them the same tyre? So confused and no idea where to go or what to get at this point or even if it makes any difference.. xD Help?! xD
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Re: Tyres - clueless

Post by Jay »

Tyres are a little hard to come by at the moment, due to what's going on in the world...
Best bet is to try tyre websites, like Demon tweaks, two tyres, black circles.... the list goes on and find your tyres. If they have them in stock buy, if not look for an alternative tyre.
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

Speak to Bob at Fwr tyres (Google) he'll steer you right
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Also, do you go off Road?

If you still to the tarmac and Stay off the dirt then you don't need off road or even semi off road tyres.

Look for something road biased.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Those sizes seem similar to the OE sizes on my old Tiger 800. I had various things on there so if you can get a matching pair of pretty much anything they'll be better than what you got.
I had Pirelli Scorpions, Michelin Pilot Road 4's and 5's, Anakee's, some trail, some road patterns.
See what you can get as supplies are slow
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
BikerGnerd
Learner Driver

Post by BikerGnerd »

Bridge suggested the anakees I'd never heard of them haha.
I'll have another look around just got confused on what size was meant to be on it haha.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

First find (or download) the Triumph owners manual for your bike - that will tell you what size you should be running.
It might also be printed on a sticker somewhere on your bike, maybe under the seat or on the frame.

Then pick the front you want. If there's lots of life left in the rear then maybe match that by getting the same front.
As Billi has already said, unless you want to go on gravel trails then avoid "trail" tyres.. but with that said some of trail tyres are still pretty good road tyres.

Conti Trail Attack 2's & 3's have been really good on my 1190 Adventure but I have just recently fitted Road Attacks to give those a try.

Regardless of which tyre you choose for the front there is no need to replace the rear until it is ready to be changed.
If you do decided to run a different make be ready for most bikers to wince at that, but really it isn't an issue.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ming
SWB Subscriber

Post by Ming »

If it is a Tiger 800 you have the Anakees will be fine. I've seen a T800 grind it's pegs down running them 🙄
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Ming
SWB Subscriber

Post by Ming »

If it is a Tiger you have, can I suggest you register on www.Tiger800.co.uk if you haven't already done so. An absolute mine of information, and a few guys even have the diagnostic tool you need to interrogate the ECU. And they organise fish and chip runs 😋
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
BikerGnerd
Learner Driver

Post by BikerGnerd »

Thanks for all the info, was the haynes guide I was looking at for the info I got about tyre, spoke to a few people who ride the same bike and most are running on the tyre size I currently have on and not the sizes that are in the guide.
Spoke to protyre and they have a road 6 that I can ride with the road 5 rear tyre as rear is pretty much new so reluctant to change it unless needed.
I was looking at the anakee tyres as a few tiger 800's I have seen have those and they seem pretty decent life etc :)

I will take a look at that site, thanks! :D gotta love some fish and chips xD
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Tyres are regenerating almost daily the days. I asked Protyre to fit a Road five on the back of mine to go with an almost new pilot road 4 on the front. I went off for lunch and when I returned 90 mins later the wheel was still off. The road five would not fit into my swingarm. Had to have another pilot road 4 on the back. Nice tyres anyway ( and cheaper) .
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: Jul 22nd, '22, 20:23 Tyres are regenerating almost daily these days. I asked Protyre to fit a Road five on the back of mine to go with an almost new pilot road 4 on the front. I went off for lunch and when I returned 90 mins later the wheel was still off. The road five would not fit into my swingarm. Had to have another pilot road 4 on the back. Nice tyres anyway ( and cheaper) .
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?