Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Power 5 tyres

Post by bkingalan »

Time for some new boots on the MV

Been recommended to try the power 5 not had any to do with Michelin's before wondering if anyone has used them before??
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Grumpy Jase
Learner Driver
First Name: Jason

Re: Power 5 tyres

Post by Grumpy Jase »

Not tried Pilot Power 5's but have Power 3's on my Tuono. Work well in the dry and are excellent in the wet, as still have quite high Silica content. Used them on a couple of track days as well, including a couple of wet sessions, and they caused no issues at all. Wear life was pretty poor, less than 2k miles on the rear.
I'm not really grumpy, just misunderstood
:D :D
Bikes
2010 BMW K1300S
2006 Aprilia Tuono
2009 Benelli Tornado Tre RS
2001 Kawasaki ER5 (project)
1999 Yamaha R1 Track Bike
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

Got them on the Tuono at the moment Al. No issues with them at all
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Not had Power 5s before, but i have heard really good feedback on them.....

I use Metezler M9RRs on my blade, awesome tyre in the wet and dry and also on track too. I used them at Mallory last month and they were great.
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
Bilko1000
Learner Driver
First Name: Darren

Post by Bilko1000 »

I have power 5's no issues
GEN 4 S1000RR / Gixxer Thou K6 the best one.
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

Excellent all-round tyre, on my second set on the XR. Only down side is a noticeable ridge between the compounds at 3k,changed mine(pair) at 3.5k with is about how long the 4s lasted.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I’m a great believer that tyres have a direct link to your brain and confidence. I used to have a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and thought they were terrible as I was riding the wrong bike for the road and the suspension set up was all wrong.

By contrast got a set of Metzeller M7RRs on the right bike with the right set up and have nothing but 1000% confidence in them wet or dry.

I guess my message is with the quality of road tyres available these days, our ability and what we ask of the tyre on public roads, “if you think there great…. Then there great”

That does not mean you should not be asking the question, but also at the same time if you love them then don’t let anybody put you off.

Hope your bike enjoys its new shoes :wink:
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Bilko1000
Learner Driver

Post by Bilko1000 »

I will say not all tyres were that great I destroyed a rear Bridgestone S20 in a little over 1000 miles in 1.5 months on my first Gixxer thou not long after they made an Evo version but by then I switched to Pirelli I thought Bridgestone were rubbish for years after till I bought a bike with S21's which were superb now I think Bridgestones are great tyres but like Rob says never really bought a bad tyre since the S20's years ago
Bilko1000
Learner Driver

Post by Bilko1000 »

I've has S22's and RS11's since both excellent currently running Power 5's and Angel GT II Pirelli both good but rate the s22 over the Power 5's better feel for me the RS11's are amazing but rubbish in the wet
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

One thing that I will say on the tyre subject that is really worth considering is what your going to do with them. :-B :-?

As per my comment above I personally am favorable to Metzeller tyres (which are basically Pirelli's) the M7rr's that I current have on the bike are fantastic but they are a sport tyre and they wear accordingly. The rear tyre is currently very close to the ware marker and I have only done 2600 miles on it. I am thinking this time might swap the M7RR (sports) tyre for a Roadtec 01 SE (Sports Touring) as should get double the mileage from it.

Where I found the love of the M7RR was on a Gixxer K1 600 followed by a Gixxer K7 1000 where there was a real need for a sports tyre. Now that I am riding slower on the road, less lean, less power, on a naked rather then a sports bike, there is not really a need for a sport tyre. A sports touring tyre will offer the performance I need from it but also offer a lot higher mileage.

Going back to your Question Alan if your the same as me then maybe a "Road 5" / "Road 6" might offer you what you want rather then a "Power 5"
Just a thought :ymhug:
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Thanks for all your comments I do like battleaxe 22s but you can’t get them at the moment so I think I’ll give the power 5s a try this time
Thanks All
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

I had the Power 5's on my Duke when I first got it. They gripped okay but didn't last long. I reckon your MV will make short work of them
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

I realise these are touring tires but I've got road 6 on the RS and they feel better than road 5 on the FJR.

The road 6 gives me confidence and milage. But if I didn't need the milage I'd be another voting for the Metzeler m9rr.