Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

White lines

Post by Kata »

No, not the song.

Another subject of conversation is in what circumstance you can overtake on a white line.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 103-to-158

says

"Rule 129

Double white lines where the line nearer to you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less."

Basically vehicles need to be stationary. So if there is a stationary queue you CAN overtake. However, if they start moving and you're over the line, you COULD get done if someone has a dash cam.

Something I didnt realise is that once a pedal bike is doing over 10 mph, which most MAMILs are, you cant cross over a white line to overtake them. As you need to give 1.5m when passing, they are effectively road blocks.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: White lines

Post by billinom8s »

personally i don't cross the solid white line, too many dash cams around these days. i'll filter down between traffic and the line but won't cross it, just not worth it.

you guys with panniers - touugh boobies, you chose to put a caravan on your sports car so you have to sit in the queue with the other cages. =))
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

That is very interesting Kata.

Simon, ^#(^
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

billinom8s wrote: Jun 19th, '23, 12:59 personally i don't cross the solid white line, too many dash cams around these days. i'll filter down between traffic and the line but won't cross it, just not worth it.

you guys with panniers - touugh boobies, you chose to put a caravan on your sports car so you have to sit in the queue with the other cages. =))
It applies if any part of the bike crosses the line according to the coppers I spoke to,so take your mirrors off Simon. :-)
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

The bars go out further than the mirrors.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

It's not your wheels crossing the line it's any part of the vehicle crossing be it panniers, mirrors, bar ends or your elbows. So if dash cam Derek has footage it will be likely be very difficult to say one way or another if you did cross the line when filtering past slow moving cages. As soon as they stop it's fair game - we know that but does dash cam Derek? As a rule of thumb I just stay in the queue, considering the risk not worth taking, or avoid the situation if I anticipate heavy traffic and another route is a reasonable option. I err on the side of caution and do not cross solid lines at all when leading a group ride.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

IMG_0841.jpeg
IMG_0842.jpeg
Well that’s interesting. I did know about the rule for not crossing a solid white line on your side of the road and that’s clear from the Highway Code what is not clear at all is that no part of you or you vehicle should cross the line. I always assumed it was your tyre should not cross the line.

Out of interest anybody know where this rule is written or is this just a police extrapolation to nik more motorbikes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Not just police but court precedent interprets "you" as any part of the vehicle/driver/ride/passenger/attachments to the vehicle. Makes sense really.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

I think the bike groups should lobby for either reduction of white lines where they aren't really necessary or perhaps an exception for motorcycles.

I'm sure we've all come across places with white lines where it's easy and safe for a bike to pass but not a car.