Taunton Kawasaki Centre??

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

charliedeane123
Learner Driver
First Name: Charlie

Taunton Kawasaki Centre??

Post by charliedeane123 »

Hey all, i know this is a major longshot, but does anyone in this forum have any knowledge about Atkins Motors or Taunton Kawasaki Centre? I got a Dunstall GS1000 with a sticker from Taunton Kawasaki Centre, as well as a June 1979 flyer with Atkins Motors listed as the Taunton dealer location. I’m trying to track down someone I can talk to that may have knowledge about the dealership, someone who worked there, anything. Any help would be amazing. Thanks so much!
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Re: Taunton Kawasaki Centre??

Post by Tvrv37 »

My Honda MT5 and NS125 were purchased from Atkins in 1985 & 86 respectively.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

I bought a ts125x.

They were located near the crematorium roundabout in Taunton. The store was turned into a Hein Gerike store and then to a co-op store when JG ceased trading.

They were mainly a Suzuki dealer, thought they sold Yamaha's at the time too.

I think they had a shop further up the road that sold scooters too.
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber

Post by Tvrv37 »

The little shop up the road is where they started before moving to the old Wadham Stringer showroom. They then reopened the old shop to sell scoots. I think they were multi franchise as they had Yams, Honda and Suzuki. They also had a 1977 Jubilee Bonnie for years. There was a big market for 50's 100's and 125's and they always had loads.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

I remember Atkins Motorcycles well as, for my sins I lived around the Taunton/Wellington area back in the day and my two daughters still live there.
As mentioned, Atkins Motorcycles were a multi-franchise bike dealer. Also as mentioned, their main store was at 33 Wellington Rd, Taunton and after they stopped trading it became a Hein Gericke outlet. It's now a Co-op supermarket: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The ... ?entry=ttu
Atkins' scooter dealership was 1/4 mile away towards the town centre, at the junction of Wellington Rd and Mountway Rd, opposite the town cemetery. It now appears to be a used car outlet: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.01439 ... ?entry=ttu

I passed both of them yesterday, twice.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.