New sprockets on a half worn chain?

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

New sprockets on a half worn chain?

Post by Jug »

I suspect most of you will greet this proposal as if it were heresy but a half worn chain is still within spec.

Background.. my 990 is about finished with its front & rear sprockets so I thought I'd measure the chain. The manual quotes the length for 18 links but my digital calipers don't open that far so I recalculated it for 10 links and then measured the chain (under tension) at the pin centres.

10 pins length --- New 142.875 mm --- Limit is 144.304 (which is 1.429 mm or 1% stretch)
Mine is at approx 143.5 mm which is 0.625 mm stretch or 0.44%.

So my quandary is do I spend £41 on just new sprockets to finish off that chain (and maybe expect shorter sprocket life) or £97 for chain & sprockets?
BTW I have no idea how old that current chain is, it could be the original so has about 21,000 miles on it but it is in great condition and has no tight spots (DID chain).

Let the roast begin.. :)):

Edit: just checked the worn rear with a magnet and it's an alloy sprocket, so maybe that explains why it seems to have worn out prematurely.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Re: New sprockets on a half worn chain?

Post by jer r1 »

That's one way to get more posts on the forum. I think the amount of droop on the chain when held out on it's side is also to be taken into account. Probably wrong on that fact but hey-ho
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

I do already have a full set that came with the bike (AFAM brand) which are pretty expensive, problem is the rear sprocket in that set is also alloy.

So I could..
A) Just use the sprockets from that set now and in the future use the AFAM chain with new steel sprockets.
B) I could use the AFAM chain and front sprocket now but buy a new steel rear instead of using the new alloy one, but then have that alloy rear left on the shelf doing nothing.

I would prefer option A as that at least uses up that alloy rear sprocket, and also finishes off the chain.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

My opinion, and it is only my opinion (and possibly Roy's :)): ), and what I would do to get the most possible mileage, is put on a couple of cheap and cheerful sprockets to see your old chain out and only then replace the whole shebang with a quality set.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Just a pitty Roy doesn't ride KTM put the full set on and sell Roy the old ones then you know they won't go to waste simple 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

I'd imagine once Roy had finished haggling I'd just as well give them to him.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

You ought to end up with steel sprockets and a new quality chain (could go to the expense of a "Supersprox" rear which has a ring of steel teeth on an alloy centre). Even anodised alloy sprockets don't last long. In the meantime I'd do option A hoping the replacement alloy sprocket will last the remaining chain life.

....BTW what lubrication system do you use on the chain and sprockets? I clean mine regularly and give the chain a coat of chainsaw oil.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

Change the lot it's £97 not £970
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

ptolemyx wrote: Jul 25th, '23, 16:16 ....BTW what lubrication system do you use on the chain and sprockets? I clean mine regularly and give the chain a coat of chainsaw oil.
I clean it regularly as I hate to see my chain looking dirty. To clean it I mainly use old engine oil though I occasionally use WD40 if it's really dirty, like after a trip. I generally don't like using solvents as I think it strips the roller inners of oil.

I tend to lubricate with gear oil when in the garage or via a chain oiler on the bike. I'm also currently messing around with grease and might switch to using a concoction of grease and oil for lubing when in the garage.

My chain and sprockets are well taken care of.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

julesh wrote: Jul 25th, '23, 18:22 Change the lot it's £97 not £970
It's not the point though.. do you change your brake pads at 50% or when they are approaching the wear marker?
They're only £40 a set.. cheap insurance.. :wink:

Edit: Ah.. but you would if you were fitting new discs... scrap that analogy then. :)):
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

how well do the new sprockets fit with the old chain? If it's propper baggy in there, your questions have been answered, if it was me, i'd do the full swap and then stick the chain in a tub of oil for a 'break in case of emergency' kind of situation. The only time i put alternative sprockets into opertion with an ol chain is on the trackbike when i change the rear one out depending on circuit or tyre wear.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

billinom8s wrote: Jul 25th, '23, 22:16 how well do the new sprockets fit with the old chain? If it's propper baggy in there, your questions have been answered,
That is a test I did plan on doing, stick the new rear in the chain while it's still on the bike and see how tight it sits, then do the pull test to see how far it can be pulled off it. I'll then decided whether the chain can stay on, if it gets removed then it will be binned as I don't have more master links for it.
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber

Post by Tvrv37 »

I had a chain snap on me once pulling out of a junction 2 up. the chain cut through the guard and embedded in the swing arm. Cost a lot more than £97 to sort out.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Tvrv37 wrote: Jul 26th, '23, 13:25 I had a chain snap on me once pulling out of a junction 2 up. the chain cut through the guard and embedded in the swing arm. Cost a lot more than £97 to sort out.
What's the background story - was it an old chain or just a faulty link?
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber

Post by Tvrv37 »

It was a few years ago before modern heavy duty affairs you get now. It was within its serviceable life though, not rusty. It was a failed link. After that I just replace chain & sprockets together.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,