OS Maps

If you like to get dirty, dusty or just end up buried in a hedge, find it here.
Everclear1984
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

OS Maps

Post by Everclear1984 »

Hi all :-h I plan on picking up a winter hack to get me to and from work, and I've always fancied doing a bit of green laning. Bike wise, it would have to be something reliable, with a budget of around £1000. I'm thinking a little CG125 or CB250, if anyone can suggest something more fitting then feel free to add your suggestions.

I've downloaded OS Maps and am currently in the free trial period. I'm yet to spot a "byway open to all traffic" anywhere around me (Plymouth, Dartmouth, etc). Can somebody please show/tell me where to look? Or is OS Maps just not the correct source for this kind of thing?

Cheers all :)
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Re: OS Maps

Post by TLS-Moose »

I prefer "Memory Maps" to the OS version. It still uses OS mapping but has better features. Buy at the right time and you can get full UK 1;25k mapping on a perpetual licence for £50-60.
As for finding the lanes themselves, the cheapest way is the county definitive map, but takes quite a bit of research. I use a 4x4 rather than a bike for greenlaning and joined GLASS (about £30/yr) which gives me free access to Trailwise 2 which is a user updated digest of all greenlanes (Byways, UCR's, etc). For bikes you're possibly/probably better off joining the TRF who since leaving their arrangement with GLASS have, I believe, developed their own version of Trailwise. By joining the TRF you will also be able to seek people local to you who can show you around.
Good luck, it's great fun :-bd
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

Agree with moose TRF is the way to go or some facebook groups are good but 99.9% will have off road bikes if you were thinking of tagging along a cg 125 won’t really cut it on most lanes
Tractorwackyracer
Everclear1984
Learner Driver

Post by Everclear1984 »

Thanks for the information guys, some really helpful information there. I did consider going for something more capable off road, but reliability will be more important to me. The type of lanes I have in mind wouldn't be too challenging, more like dirt tracks with a bit of mud thrown in for fun during the winter. I'm not dead set on either model, but I like the retro styling of both and both options seem to pretty much bulletproof when it comes to reliability.
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver

A little more money but how about a royal Enfield Himalayan or a drz
Tractorwackyracer
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Or a CRF230 - they'll be a few years old now but, like cockroaches, will withstand everything thrown at them. Not great on the road, but will help you out if you end up on a lane that's.....
challenging
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

If reliability is your reason for the cg etc selection, be prepared to be fixing it a lot.
You won't have the Suspension ground clearance or tyre capabilities.

You'd be better getting a Japanese off roader and a set of wheels with Road tyres for your commute then a quick swap over for the tricky stuff.

Unfortunately a CG would Probs die if it was asked to do this.
https://youtu.be/TgJhAX1JxG4
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Everclear1984
Learner Driver

Post by Everclear1984 »

Some food for thought, for sure. I've had a look at the bikes suggested, and it looks like I'd have to more than double my budget. To be clear, I'm not looking to tear up lanes that are impassable to most vehicles, more like some loose gravel track, etc. I know I'll be limited by the bike, but to me that's part of the appeal, taking a bike where it doesn't belong.
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver

So between all of us that have commented there’s probably 150 years of biking knowledge and experience 😂😂🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Tractorwackyracer
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

In fairness, if you just want to go out for a potter in the lanes, getting a bit lost from society, a full-on trail bike is possibly not necessary though it will make your life a chunk easier, as has been said. Plenty of people do things like the Exeter or Lands End trial on old brit roadbikes and a CG125 is possibly still easier to handle than a 1200cc+ super enduro.
Perhaps something like a Suzuki VanVan or a Honda CL might suit? Both have been out for a long time and come in a couple of engine sizes. If you want something a bit bigger maybe a Kawasaki KLE500? Something a bit more dual purpose would definitely make your life a bit easier .....
Look up "life under 30hp" on IG for a little bit of inspiration ... I think he tried the Exeter on CG!
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Yamaha ttr,
Honda crf 230,

Older air-cooled lumps. Circa £1500 but will happily run all day long. Just won't win any races or beauty pagents.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver

Agreed a duel sport is what I was thinking not a full on enduro I just think both bikes mentioned aren’t suitable budget is the biggest issue

But you pay your money takes your choice
Ride have fun whatever you decide
Tractorwackyracer
Everclear1984
Learner Driver

Post by Everclear1984 »

TLS-Moose wrote: Aug 18th, '23, 16:45 In fairness, if you just want to go out for a potter in the lanes, getting a bit lost from society, a full-on trail bike is possibly not necessary though it will make your life a chunk easier, as has been said. Plenty of people do things like the Exeter or Lands End trial on old brit roadbikes and a CG125 is possibly still easier to handle than a 1200cc+ super enduro.
Perhaps something like a Suzuki VanVan or a Honda CL might suit? Both have been out for a long time and come in a couple of engine sizes. If you want something a bit bigger maybe a Kawasaki KLE500? Something a bit more dual purpose would definitely make your life a bit easier .....
Look up "life under 30hp" on IG for a little bit of inspiration ... I think he tried the Exeter on CG!
The KLE500 looks promising! There are a few about for a little over budget. In fairness, I know I'll end getting hooked and wanting a more capable bike. Thanks for the suggestion.
Everclear1984
Learner Driver

Post by Everclear1984 »

TLS-Moose wrote: Aug 18th, '23, 16:45 Look up "life under 30hp" on IG for a little bit of inspiration ... I think he tried the Exeter on CG!
I'll take a look :-bd
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I know of a wr125 that'll be up for sale very soon. Cosmetically not the prettiest condition but it's got brand new off Road tyres, Forks have been done, engine serviced etc.
Needs an Nova and ideally some new plastics but other than that it's all good. Should cope with lanes pretty easy and still do the road work.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.