2001 600 honda hornet

Introduce yourself and meet your fellow riders. Please don't forget to mention how you found us.
Bikerphil
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

2001 600 honda hornet

Post by Bikerphil »

Hi everyone, hoping for some possible help here, have a 2001 600 honda hornet, bike had been standing for a while but started easily, tick over a bit rough, I drained the tank, replaced the fuel, cleaned plugs and took it out for a run, after about 5 miles it started misfiring only at low revs, got home, replaced plugs, no better, stripped out petcock, replaced the filter, stripped carbs and cleaned, replaced air filter, next run out, still the same, ran lovely to start and after a few miles misfire again, next I replaced all the vacuum pipes, ignition coils and leads, same again misfire, but this time kept stopping on tick over, any ideas guys...? Ps also checked the tank vent, all OK.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: 2001 600 honda hornet

Post by billinom8s »

Does it have a fuel pump?

Kink in fuel line from Tank?

How far down did you strip carbs? All out and ultrasonic Tank?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Only thing I can think of is the secondary air system. I removed it from my Hornet but I have read it can cause running issues if faulty.
You could pull the hose from the air box and put a bolt in it to seal it up the hose, and tape over the airbox barb so it is sealed and then give it another run.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Bikerphil
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Bikerphil »

Hi, thanks for the replies, first of all, it hasn't got a fuel pump, just gravity fed, I was very careful re fuel line not to kink it, I only took the bowls off and cleaned them, blow jets out, cleaned mixture screw ports, checked diaphragms, all good..!