Don't assume it's ever been serviced!

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Don't assume it's ever been serviced!

Post by Tvrv37 »

As I was fitting the rear Ohlins on the RSV after being serviced, I suggested to Wendy she asks Simon if he can rebuild the KYB shock on her track street triple as we'll be travelling down to get the RSV's suspension set up. Anyway it was about time I took a look at the suspension linkages and bearings as I didn't get round to it last year when we bought it and as it wasn't getting much use anyway since Wendy high sided at Cadwell the job got away from me.

The bearings on either end of the drag link and bottom of the shock were seized solid and after a fight with blow torch and GT85 to remove the linkage I found the bearing on the bottom of the swingarm had completely collapsed. Please bear in mind that this bike had a 12 month MOT when purchased and had been serviced regularly.

Did this contribute to Wendy's crash we will never know but if you are running and older or higher mileage bike particularly if you are thinking of taking it out on track where stresses and strains are far higher make sure you get this area of your bike looked at. It will never be covered by routine maintenance servicing, regardless of where you have it done and can have serious consequences if a something snaps due to a seized bearing.

If you don't feel confident to do the work yourself book in with our own suspension guru Billinom8 AKA Simon and he'll get you sorted.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Re: Don't assume it's ever been serviced!

Post by Robbo87 »

Yup, good advice right there from young Phil i.e make sure your bike's suspension linkage is fully up to par - I've been there etc. etc.
Here's a couple of pic's of what happened to the 'dogbone' link on my Aprilia RST 1000 Futura less than a month after I bought it "Fully serviced" as I was told! It let go big time when I hit the bottom of the hill on the famous B3227 'Nth Devon TT' at Langridge Ford. I was er' 'making progress' at the time. The back wheel hit into the seat base and locked up and if I'd been cranked over for a corner the consequences would have been dire. I was just plain lucky. I've kept that dogbone nailed up on my workshop wall ever since as a reminder!

Pic's taken after the bike was recovered home.
17th Aug 2011 003.jpg
17th Aug 2011 006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

First thing I did after buying my FJR was to get the FJR club to check the rear suspension bushes. FJRs are notorious for them seizing up due to Bike shops not doing them.

Sure enough it had never been done even with a full service history.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Completely agree, suspension components certainly have a shelf life and sometimes overlooked.
Found that out with my Thunderace "smokey joe"
The linkage was seized solid and was riding a hardtail.
Was not fun on track!
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"