HELP - whats the best way to get rid of rust and corrosion..

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

sonic

HELP - whats the best way to get rid of rust and corrosion..

Post by sonic »

the trip to karting has taken its toll on my suzuki build quality... :cry:

whats the best way to get rid of rust and corrosion from the sprocket, chain - will probably just replace bolts with titanium or annodised... :?

also what the best product for removing rust...

lastly what does everyone find is the best chain lube - best cover and least flick! still need to be able to see nice goldie lookin chain through it... :P

shame is i washed it and covered it all in scottoiler FS316 or what ever its called and WD40... :roll:

fookin english weather... :oops:
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

Degreasent and a wire brush to remove the surface rust. Autosol if you need to polish the sprocket up, although I dont see the point personally but keeping the chain clean will make it last alot longer as the dirt/salt gets into the links and acts as a good grinding paste

Get a Scottoiler, keeps the chain loobed and clean(er). I have a can on Rockoil chain loob, it's actually very sticky (took me about 15mins to remove it from my hands!) and clear
sonic

Post by sonic »

rock oil sounds - reason for keeping chain and sprocket clean is that they are gold.

BLING! :P
clunk
Learner Driver

Post by clunk »

Hammerite everything.

I had a Suzi TS100 many years ago and hammerited the frame on it.
That was yellow and black as well Sonic, and it looked better than yours.

Hammerite is this years carbon dontcha know. :lol:
Sigs are for poseurs and wimps
sonic

Post by sonic »

clunk wrote:Hammerite everything.

I had a Suzi TS100 many years ago and hammerited the frame on it.
That was yellow and black as well Sonic, and it looked better than yours.

Hammerite is this years carbon dontcha know. :lol:
:shock:
lost_identity
Learner Driver

Post by lost_identity »

Belray lube is good but will turn your chain white.
It is not the horrors of war which trouble me but the unseen horrors of peace

[img]http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/1805/lostid24jm0je7su.jpg[/img]
Gingey
Learner Driver

Post by Gingey »

For all rust, Hammerite definately, for either prevention or cure. And chain lube, its got to be wurth.....ride recommended, best buy. I've tried a few now, the longest lasting has to be castrol chain wax, but it stays whitey green and sh1t just sticks to it....the wurth stuff is clear and apparently the best flick free on the market. I will definately be buying it again. :D
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/Gingeyuk666/SIG2.jpg[/img]
Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Post by Funky »

I use wurth dry chain spray. Put the bike on a rear paddock stand and spray it on as you rotate. Job easy and done, but do it just after you have been for a ride as you need the chain nice and warm.

For cleaning the sprockets etc i'll take off the rear wheel and all that gubbins then cover it in oven cleaner (a nice degreaser) slam them in a bucket of water to finish the clean off and rinse them then i'll GREASE ALL THE BUSHES ETC as i put them back together and put the wheel back on. Also take the oppurtunity to give a good clean to the swing arm and rear shock etc.
Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Post by Funky »

Oh ye have to agree with the Autosol for rust problems.
Bondy
Learner Driver

Post by Bondy »

Castrol Chain Wax. I have try many fancy lubes with ceramics in but I always end up back with Castrol.

The new formula is clear as well a big improvment.
scottoiler FS365 is good but I also use a Fuchs product called Anti-Corrit and that is the DOGS but very expensive. If you can find it.
Luckly we stock it. 8)

All that stops the rust getting there in the first place. Plus I dont take my bike out in the rain :lol:
[url]http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/13245-af[/url] For all bearings, belts and tool etc.
Gingey
Learner Driver

Post by Gingey »

Bondy wrote:Castrol Chain Wax. I have try many fancy lubes with ceramics in but I always end up back with Castrol.

The new formula is clear as well a big improvment.
scottoiler FS365 is good but I also use a Fuchs product called Anti-Corrit and that is the DOGS but very expensive. If you can find it.
Luckly we stock it. 8)

All that stops the rust getting there in the first place. Plus I dont take my bike out in the rain :lol:
I definately found the Castrol wax to be the best protection but as its so sticky i found grit tended to stick to it a bit, but otherwise, great stuff. 8)
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/Gingeyuk666/SIG2.jpg[/img]
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

just remember that unless the chain is clean, the 'non flick' stuff has nothing to adhere to and will just find a new home on your fairing,boots, pillion etc
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
devilride
Learner Driver

Post by devilride »

i use silkolene chain lube - came very highly recommended by my local bike engineers :wink: . also pro-clean is supposed to be the dogs, bit more pricey though.
Missing 2 wheels : (
madasfook
Learner Driver

Post by madasfook »

even better than that , when it rains use the car :D I thank you :lol: :lol:
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Mine get's used all year round, I use the thinest dirtiest oil that I can find, & let it flick to high heaven to keep the chain lubed. I found that waxed based lubes are not the best thing if you going to use the bike in all weathers. My sprocket is a nice 'golden brown' colour, altough I cam now incorperating this into the colour scheme. I am in the process with the DVLA of changing my documents so the bike is listed as blue & brown :D