Me with a big bike

Anti-Theft Devices & Insurance related issues...

Moderator: Staff

Cheggers
Learner Driver

Post by Cheggers »

ZXR400Lee wrote: If you can get through military, then you should have enough disapline to ride a motorbike.
In a word... NO :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rides - 2008 R1
1980 CB250RS
Drives - Honda Motegi Prelude 2.2 VTEC
Jon B
Learner Driver

Post by Jon B »

But R1's aren't forgiving?

Remember poor old 16yo on scooter has to yank the throttle back to get anywhere, one slip of the hand on the throttle on an R1 and he will be on his arse.
[img]http://mr-74360.mr.valuehost.co.uk/banner4.jpg[/img]
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

How can you slip the hand?! Makes no sense...

Your on the bike, you control the throttle, brakes, gears, no difference between RS50 or YZF-R1.. just one goes alot faster.
Rides: 2020 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

for one, stinky didnt make it thru the military, so i'm afraid your comment falls down there.

ok, it takes the brain to ride the more powerful bike and yes they will do 30 just as easily as 130 but the thing u dont account for is rider capability and experience.

if your entire riding life u have pootled around doing 40 flat out with a 10 mile radius, the thought that your bike will go like a rocket will be too tempting not to try, unfortunately road knowledge gained on a scoot wont help.

dont be in such a rush to climb to the top of the ladder, go for a 400 or 600, just as much fun just more forgiving.

did that make sense or am i just an old fart rambling?
Jon B
Learner Driver

Post by Jon B »

ZXR400Lee wrote:How can you slip the hand?! Makes no sense...
Easy as hell, what if stinky comes out of a corner and whacks a bit too much throttle, back wheel spins up, leaving him with a highside and a bike that will cost more to repair than his insurance.

Why the rush to jump onto a 1000, he's got a whole life in front of him.
[img]http://mr-74360.mr.valuehost.co.uk/banner4.jpg[/img]
Cheggers
Learner Driver

Post by Cheggers »

Being an inexperienced rider, you'll probably be slower on a thou than a 600.
Rides - 2008 R1
1980 CB250RS
Drives - Honda Motegi Prelude 2.2 VTEC
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

Jon B wrote:
ZXR400Lee wrote:How can you slip the hand?! Makes no sense...
Easy as hell, what if stinky comes out of a corner and whacks a bit too much throttle, back wheel spins up, leaving him with a highside.
That just sounds stupid to me, maybe its just me.. but your controlling the bike and you should know everything the bike is doing.

I may only be 19 but I have been riding bikes since I was about 7 so thats probably why.

Thing is, he cant even test ride one without a full unrestricted license, anyone riding to the speed limit, and disregarding other motorists should be able to ride any sized bike providing they know how to actually use the bike.
jason
Learner Driver

Post by jason »

modern litre bikes are stupid fast, particularly in the last 4 years or so they have just got scary quick.

So when the red mists descends and your out riding the twisties and you get a bit over exhuberant and wind the throttle on (which most of us do on occasion), at least on a 600 you will have a chance to scrub the speed off. On a modern litre bike you are at 130mph plus before you know it....the question then is can you get around the corner or do you just stand it up on the brakes and hit the hedge on the other side of the road.....

most inexperainced riders will go for the latter option.

people will presume you are a clueless poser and it will take you longer to learn to ride properly, you will likely end up with the shite point and squirt riding style that you see a lot of born againers on R1's using - like cheggers says you would be quicker on a 600 anyway.

Im damm sure If I had access to a Gixxer thou when I was under 20 I would have been dead and buried a long time ago.
devilride
Learner Driver

Post by devilride »

600's are the most popular size bike in britain, they'll do 160 odd mph, they're reasonable to insure, and f*cking great fun! and all that in your first big bike! :lol:
don't bother with the thou mate, if you keep your head on your shoulders, you'll have plenty of riding years ahead of you for all that. there's no rush...
Missing 2 wheels : (
jason
Learner Driver

Post by jason »

its all an irrelevance anyway the chances of him getting a gixxer thou or an r1 as a first big bike as a 17 year old are basically nil.
Stinky
Learner Driver

Post by Stinky »

its all an irrelevance anyway the chances of him getting a gixxer thou or an r1 as a first big bike as a 17 year old are basically nil.
Thats what you think :D :D :wink: :wink: . I think I will go GSXR 600 then :D .
Potential Royal Marines Course: 27th Feb o7 - Fail
Infantry Basic Training - 18th November 07 - ?
Xbox Live Tag - StinkyUK
jason
Learner Driver

Post by jason »

Stinky wrote: Thats what you think :D :D :wink: :wink: . I think I will go GSXR 600 then :D .
good choice
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

GSXR600K4/K5... so nice to ride!
Jonny
Learner Driver
First Name: Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I'm sure it sounds nearly everyones having a go at you but I'm sure they are just concerned, it is a big jump.

I went from 125cc to 572cc at 17. Never had a serious accident but have scared myself considerably in the past.

Seriously, The only reason I can think of you wanting to get a 1 litre bike is to show off? (Please tell me if I'm wrong.)

As most people here will say, its not what you ride ride, its how you ride.

If you do get an R1 or similar, be carefull dude.
lost_identity
Learner Driver

Post by lost_identity »

I fear a GSXR 600 may be too much aswell especially if you get a later model. Get a budget bike, sv, hornet, fazer (not a bandit), if you can stretch to it z750 (only 4 mph down on thou top end). Ur insurance will be cheaper and sports bikes willo not leave your for dead on the roads if you ride well.
It is not the horrors of war which trouble me but the unseen horrors of peace

[img]http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/1805/lostid24jm0je7su.jpg[/img]