Cleaning my fairing.

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Captain
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Cleaning my fairing.

Post by Captain »

My little perspex screen at the front of the fairing (I honestly don't know the technical name for it - its basically like a windscreen) is very hazy. Is there any way of cleaning it up or use to clean it up; or is it dead now beause it's made of plastic.

I don't use it to look through, so it doesn't matter, it just annoys me because it looks messy!

quigs
Learner Driver
First Name: Ryan

Re: Cleaning my fairing.

Post by quigs »

I've done a similar thing to plastic head lights on a car.

First you want to wet flat(sand) the screen with say 800 grit and work your way upto say 2000 grit. that will get any imperfections out. Then all you need to do then is use a cutting compound on it (g3 or similar), this will bring it back up. If still not happy with the finish you can use a plastic polish then (very fine abrasive).

Quigs
http://www.r6ers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.southwaleskitesurfing.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Captain
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Captain »

Thanks Quips, I'll try that :)
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

Or if you got some T-Cut laying around, give that a try.
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

If you know anyone who spanners at Flybe, or any aerospace environment, ask them to "aquire" a product called "mirror Glaze" I think it's called. For perspects windows etc. Similar idea to what has been suggested. Graded wet n dry with an abrasive polish. Bit of elbow grease required but works an absolute treat.
It may be available commercially but I know it from my days in the aerospace industry.

If going straight into it, use a swirling motion, all over the crazed area and over lap each grade of wet n dry. Be patient and don't change until a complete area has been completely scratched. Then use the polish or T cut as the very last grade.

Good luck.
\m/ :-bd
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Red5 wrote:If you know anyone who spanners at Flybe, or any aerospace environment, ask them to "aquire" a product called "mirror Glaze" I think it's called. For perspects windows etc. Similar idea to what has been suggested. Graded wet n dry with an abrasive polish. Bit of elbow grease required but works an absolute treat.
It may be available commercially but I know it from my days in the aerospace industry.

If going straight into it, use a swirling motion, all over the crazed area and over lap each grade of wet n dry. Be patient and don't change until a complete area has been completely scratched. Then use the polish or T cut as the very last grade.

Good luck.
\m/ :-bd

I lied... it's called 'micro-mesh'. Google it. It really is great, use on your screen, visors, head lights.
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..