Headlight bulbs

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
DevonBlue
Learner Driver
First Name: Damon

Headlight bulbs

Post by DevonBlue »

Can anyone suggest the best headlight bulb to fit to improve the visibility at night. I am finding the light really dim and a bit of a struggle on the unlit roads even on main beam. (whilst the headlight aim seems spot on but not very bright, the main beam seems to shine far too high and is lighting the trees up more than the road) . I have changed the bulb from the standard halogen to a xenon blue one which is supposed to be a 50% improvement but in reality is no better. I have seen loads (xenon white, blue, etc etc) all advertised as being a massive improvement but don't want to keep trying them if they are going to be no better. Would it be ok to put a higher wattage one in ?? or do some of these others actualy improve the light and i have just been unlucky.
swukjay
Learner Driver
First Name: Jay

Re: Headlight bulbs

Post by swukjay »

What bike is it? Those blue ones are awful imho, best to stick with white, be careful if you up the wattage can melt plastics and mess up alternators, HID is one way of improving !
swukjay
Learner Driver
First Name: Jay

Post by swukjay »

Also park the bike on a dark straight road put it on high beam and lower the aim, shouldn't be lighting up trees ! you don't need to be seen from the ISS :)):
DevonBlue
Learner Driver

Post by DevonBlue »

swukjay wrote:What bike is it? Those blue ones are awful imho, best to stick with white, be careful if you up the wattage can melt plastics and mess up alternators, HID is one way of improving !
Honda CBR600f 2012 - i assumed that because the headlight aim was in the right place then it didn't need adjusting. If i alter the aim with the main beam on to a lower position i am assuming that will also affect the aim of the light on low beam which is actually spot on - only goes up high when put on main beam :?
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

To answer the original question, Phillips "Extreme Power" or Osram "Nightbreaker"
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by Atomic »

I have used Osram Nightbreakers and Philips Extreme and rate them about the same - but both have been better than the standard bulb. The more expensive option is HID but there are questions about fitting this to a dual bulb system. Apparently if the high or low beam blows you will lose both, (other people may have an input).

I have just changed mine and found the headlamp needs to be firmly pressed home onto 2 rubber covered locating lugs either side of the unit. Although yours is the faired version, I think it may have the same unit underneath ( I may be wrong but it is worth a check). The only other thing is possibly the bulb holder is not seated properly.

The reason I say this is that if the direction of the main beam is wrong for the standard bulb, it probably won't change with a brighter bulb - unless it is seated wrong to start with.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

The issue with HID's is also that they are illegal unless your bike is designed to use them, complete with self-levelling system. Depending on your MOT guy, it should fail if fitted ......

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by Atomic »

AAh very interesting, didn't know that. You would think that UK sellers would make that clear. I do understand why they don't, but almost bought some for my other bike as it has 2 bulbs and I thought it would be ok. You have saved me a few bob and further internet trawling. ^:)^
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

Ah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't buy, just be aware of the consequences ...... I've been toying with getting one for the dip-beam on the MV ........ which has separate projector lenses for main & dip ......

Edit: found the note I was looking for ....

"For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

So you need to fit a headlamp wash, a self-levelling device for the headlamp, and alter the wiring so both main and dip are on together .........

I'm guessing a lot of twin-headlight bikes will struggle when asked to power both main and dipped beams at the same time (on a bike with HID dip, normal main, or vice-versa that would mean the headlamp drawing around 190w) add in two tail-lights, two brake lights, some instrument lights and two indicators (around another 100w), and on many bikes the electrics will be going into melt-down ......

DevonBlue
Learner Driver

Post by DevonBlue »

TLS-Moose wrote:To answer the original question, Phillips "Extreme Power" or Osram "Nightbreaker"
Thanks Moose, if they are similar performance then i will try the Osram as they seem to be about half the price of the Phillips.

Tom - Think you might be right about the bulb possibly not being seated correctly - will wait till the new one comes and double check when I fit it. :)
DevonBlue
Learner Driver

Post by DevonBlue »

TLS-Moose wrote:To answer the original question, Phillips "Extreme Power" or Osram "Nightbreaker"

Fitted an Osram Nightbreaker bulb - seems a lot better, cheers Moose :)
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Only one ? Doesn't your bike take two ?????
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
DevonBlue
Learner Driver

Post by DevonBlue »

billinom8s wrote:Only one ? Doesn't your bike take two ?????
No - single headlight - so one bulb.

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

ooooo, very modern and posh B-)
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.