Suspension rip off

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
Bullet

Suspension rip off

Post by Bullet »

A while ago I had front springs put in my little bike to try and increase the handling capabilities and make it safer on the track. Had new springs and oil, a complete set up both front forks and rear shock. Thought it was brilliant and was loving it, but my bike was always needing adjustments when taking corners and back was all over the place especially when damp! Thought it was my lack of experience on tracks. This continued for a while until i went to a different garage to have a bazazz fitted in Bristol. They were extremely concerned when they were just pushing the bike in and out of the garage about it's suspension. To cut a long story short (thank god i hear you day) It turns out I was lucky to be alive! The front forks had far to much oil in them, a much heavy duty spring and spacers had been hacked down with a hacksaw to try and compensate for this, and absolutely no rebound in them, hence the continuous adjustments around corners and the rear shock set up was abismal with absolutely no sag whatsoever! Basically really dangerous
I did not pursue it further with the garage who did the initial work, or Ktec as it was their stuff i had fitted by them, as I had the work corrected and ended up paying out for better upgrade to cheer me up :lol:

My only big worry is this garage does a lot of this type of upgrade and set ups, but I hope my bike was a one off cock up.

So I guess the moral is to really investigate and ask questions. Talk to them and others who know what they are talking about, not just mates on bikes who really don't know much like me or teh say so from a post on a forum. Don't simply turn up at a garage cos you saw it on a forum without really delving in and asking what they will do etc. if they are genuine they won't mind the questions
You can't see what's been done and take it for granted it's been done professionally and safely.

My bike puts out 175 Bhp at the wheel and I really was putting myself at risk and the racing team who did the work said they wouldn't even ride it round the corner in the condition it was in. I asked questions and googled them asked others etc before I had the remedial work done and learned a valuable lesson ! Our bikes are extremely safe machines if looked after but deadly if not correctly worked on
Mr Moo
Learner Driver

Re: Suspension rip off

Post by Mr Moo »

A very poignant post, considering I am looking at having my suspension set up looked at shortly. If you don't want to name and shame on the open forum would you PM me the name of the place to avoid.

On a lighter note, It was a shame I didn't get chance to chat about that rear shock ;)

ATB,
Ben
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

My shock should be coming off in a couple of week. Will check it out to make sure it's in good nick which I'm sure it is then it's certainly available
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

You will need a conversion kit to fit yours! Wil PM you or text me, number at bottom of posts
Mr Moo
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Moo »

What year is yours? If its 2011 onwards it wont fit as they did away with linkages and lay the shock horizontal with direct connection to the swingarm :?
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

2011! I'm not that rich !

Mr Moo
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Moo »

hahahahaha! I knew it was quite new but wasn't sure :) Just need a 2008 zx10 linkage and a spacer. job jobbed :)