Pembrey - Phil Bevan

Look in for Track days + events

Moderator: Staff

R6 STU
Learner Driver

Pembrey - Phil Bevan

Post by R6 STU »

Anyone done a Phil Bevan weekend? Looking at booking one, a weekend for less than a rainy day at Silverstone.

My understanding is they've dropped the 2 layouts and just run the original one now.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Re: Pembrey - Phil Bevan

Post by menzies3032 »

Done Pembrey loads of times and love the track. Personally only ever done the original track rather then the new lay out but think it is generally deemed as better.

Check out my YouTube channel if you want to see the track as have very visits on there.

My only complaint is that Phil Bevan which normally host Pembrey are not great when it comes to running the day. Expect a very long briefing session and lots of sighting laps as well as being very picky about noise testing. They have improved but previously there was so much faffing about it really effected track time.

Nice track though, it’s one of the few weekend track days and less then £100 (just) so give it a go.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

Went in March Alan wasn't doing the briefing, 5 minutes job done, which was a relief as normally he drones on for a looooong time, nice little track easy to learn and good fun, 2 sighting laps every session which is a pain in the arse but it's only 2 minutes, only complaint I have is the paddock, when it rains the water doesn't run off it pools up, you can find all your gear under an inch or two of water, they should REALLY sort that out
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Speak to shammy as think she has done a few

I personally refuse to do one if his days as if you work it out its 1 whole session out if the day for sighting laps which in my opinion can cause some big offs through frustration! And correct me if im wrong but wasnt there one recently?
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Bullet wrote: Apr 18th, '19, 22:27 can cause some big offs through frustration! And correct me if im wrong but wasnt there one recently?
Got to say I have seen more high sides at Pembrey then anywhere else I have been. And yes Jimbo went for a fly recently.

That being said not sure any of them were down to the warm up laps just the nature of the track and the people riding it and how much they are pushing at the time.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

I really like Pembrey and I like the 2 sighting laps. Grippy in the wet too. I know some don’t like the 2 sighting laps but in all fairness they did try not doing them and more binned it than when they did them so back to what works best. Other week at Oulton we were made to do 2 laps under yellows due to the amount of reds 🙄

Think about the conditions and warm your tyres up. It’s a track day not a race day after all.
Watch the hairpin, someone got T boned there last year right in front of me, was almost me.
Lots get that wrong.

Phil Bevan run a good day, go on and book one 👍
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

To be brutally honest,

I was against the two sighting laps at first.
But then the reasons help towards them.

It's nice to keep the warmth into the tyres.
And make sure your paying attention.

And if you get a decent group on the day. (Fast group mainly)
The 2 sighting laps are ran at 85% speed any way so no real difference. As laps are only a couple of seconds slower.

If your in novice or a wide ability inters then it can be frustrating though.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Like everything it down to preferences of the person paying out the money for their track day
If i want to do 2 sighting laps every sessions then I will go to butlins and sit on a kiddies car
I want to get out there an get my monies worth not sit behind somebody every single session

So rant all you want, some like some dont
Gixernutter
Learner Driver
First Name: Tony

Post by Gixernutter »

Been to Pembrey many times both before Phil ran it, using Focused or No Limits and after and I can say without fear of contradiction that the new way is much better. Smaller groups means higher prices but you get quality track time cos you're not constantly battling to get past a long, slow train of bikes all on different lines and doing crazy shit to go forward....
Gixernutter
Learner Driver

Post by Gixernutter »

Been to

..... Yes, briefings can be boring, but think of riders who don't do many track days and it makes sense. Sighting laps allow your tyres to heat properly. If you are sat in pit lane waiting to get on track for anything longer than 2 mins, your tyres are effectively cold and tipping into hairpin (first corner) on out lap will be 'interesting' at any speed higher than 30 mph. The circuit is only 1.5 miles long and with only 1 left hander, the left side of tyre will also be cold and it will get very squirrely under hard acceleration. I was there in late May, using tyre warmers and with a cool morning session I had cold tearing on left edge as I had gone too quick too soon. I do minute laps on my K6 1000, so not exactly slow (my lad is even quicker-git!) and happy to run in any group....
Gixernutter
Learner Driver

Post by Gixernutter »

.... Noise monitoring is 98dB drive by (mic mounted on control tower on start/finish straight) and initially I ran an unbaffled race system that tested 103dB at Castle Combe without triggering any warnings. I then fitted 2 baffles (twin port outlet) and suffered no loss of power as I was going to Oulton which does static test at 102 and wanted to check it was OK.

Finally, the staff, support and facilities at Pembrey are very good - I do agree the paddock needs better surfacing, but that is nothing to do with Phil Bevan but Pembrey cct. Go and have a blast, you will not regret it.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Sounds like you need to come on a euro.

Awesome conditions and no noise checks.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
skippy
SWB Subscriber

Post by skippy »

Me and my son going up tomorrow, guest house then track on saturday, novice, looking forward to it.
db killer fitted and front brake lever guard fitted.Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

Don't forget your back protector too. Have a great day :)
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

Hope you enjoy Wendy and I are in a Llanelli out tomorrow. Weather looks set fine interestingly none of the Friday groups were sold out so hoping it's a bit quieter. Saturday sold out.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,